Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just out of curiosity, and because I'm not too well versed in the 'usuals' of off-roading- does anyone else generally take ramps with them when they go out? When I go out the main hazard that would overcome anyone is the sugarsand which is basically a quicksand if you lose momentum, and slight mud. We bring 2 wooden ramps [35" long, 3" incline, 24" wide, 2" thick] of wood [acquired them from getting large shipments via UPS] and a shovel. If anything gets stuck, we use these ramps to base a jack on [where the jack base would sink] or just jam them in front of the rear tires and simply use them to gain traction and get out. I've yet to have them ever truly fail, then again, I've never been with people out in mud that has gotten anyone buried past the middle of their hubs. Just wondering if anyone else has any methods other than wenches/towing out.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
A shovel is a must in the deep stuff, also if you have a manual and you can "rock" the vehicle, thats a good method also.

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, first time I got my truck stuck, just had a friend sit in the bed and I switched from reverse to forward and back to reverse - gunned it and made it out clean.

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
i just use a shovel to dig out my axle, then i string up a bunch of trucks to all work together on pulling me out. ive gotten trucks stuck trying to pull me out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts