Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is CA the only state that limits Class C drivers to under 10k gross? I can get an endorsement for 10-15k RV trailers (5th wheel) but not for equipment trailers.

I need a Class A just for a 14k gooseneck and it must be a full commercial version, not a non-commercial version. It can have the "no tractor trailer" exclusion though. The non-com works for RVs, again, but not goosenecks.

It totally sucks.

Any other states like this, or is it typical BS that is CA?

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
That is just a Cali thing .. in FL now and you just put on the form what you'll tow. I put 20k. If you're under the DOT can ticket.

·
Registered
8,931 Posts
Man thats gay! Must be a CA communist thing! :bigthumb:

In TN you can get a permanent trailer tag for anything from a 4ft tag along trailer to a 40' gooseneck. No kinda weight restrictions or anything. Its a one time fee of (i think) $90 and good for the life of the trailer.

·
Registered
635 Posts
MD you can pull anything the truck is weighted for as long as it isn't commercial (as I recall). If it is comm you can't do anything over 10k without a class A.

My big enclosed say NOT FOR HIRE and may be de-decalling the truck... Also looking into what I need to register it as an RV once I build the living qaurters.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Cali blows.... you should see some of the stuff in PA.

I passed a lifted Dodge, with a 30'+ gooseneck, with a trailer hitch welded on the back of the gooseneck pulling another trailer....

most places in the world that would be a Class A double..... but he's doing 75mph down the highway without a care in the world....

·
Registered
393 Posts

I passed a lifted Dodge, with a 30'+ gooseneck, with a trailer hitch welded on the back of the gooseneck pulling another trailer....

most places in the world that would be a Class A double..... but he's doing 75mph down the highway without a care in the world....
lol, in canada ontario, everybody does that, and all you need is a normal G class liscense. (regular driving liscense.)

i do it myself. with my 5th wheel camper and boat.

·
Registered
461 Posts
The Boss said:
is CA the only state that limits Class C drivers to under 10k gross? I can get an endorsement for 10-15k RV trailers (5th wheel) but not for equipment trailers.

I need a Class A just for a 14k gooseneck and it must be a full commercial version, not a non-commercial version. It can have the "no tractor trailer" exclusion though. The non-com works for RVs, again, but not goosenecks.

It totally sucks.

Any other states like this, or is it typical BS that is CA?
whoa, this is the first ive heard of this. obviously i need to research into it. i have a 35ft toy hauler and its unloaded weight is 8.6k but its got upgraded tanks. so im not sure of its dry weight.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Jasonlmrx said:

lol, in canada ontario, everybody does that, and all you need is a normal G class liscense. (regular driving liscense.)

i do it myself. with my 5th wheel camper and boat.
Do you do it with a factory installed hitch in the camper?? or just something you welded to the dovetail?

:D:D:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts