Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats the easiest V8 engine to drop into a CJ7? i am thinking about buying one and i want to have a powerful engine in there

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
if you went with a chrysler you wouldnt be stickin with a chrysler because the cj's were built by AMC. I'd go with a chevy motor because you can get parts for the motor cheap and it wont cost you much to put it in.

·
Registered
8,237 Posts
i believe that the mounts for the trans and everything are the same either way. so in a way you will still be "sticking" with chrysler since AMC was so heavily influenced by them.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
what about a mustang 5.0 engine? are they easy to put in? cause i have access to one and i know they are cheap to work on cause i have one now

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
Z&M Conversions: http://www.zandm.com/

I saw a message about them on http://www.MarksMark.net that was as follows: "These pictures are of Gregs 5.0L Jeep being driven by my sister Lala. Greg owns Z&M Conversions and does 5.0L Ford Mustang Motor Conversions for any Jeep with Z&M motor mounts. They also manufacture custom bumpers, rocker protecters, racks, etc. for Jeeps."

That makes me believe it is completely possibly pending your motor mounts and all, may be worth checking out.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
i would check with advanced adaptors, they make bolt up engine mounts and bellhousing adaptors for chevy's and maybe for fords. That would be the best place to look. This might be the place to get mounts if you need them

·
Registered
896 Posts
Well, an AMC 401 would be super cool, but a small block Chevy will be the easiest.

Acutally, maybe not. Would a 304 be a direct bolt in? I think they started offering them in CJ's in '71 or '72.

How about a swapping in a EFI Chevy? You'll get better mileage and better drivability.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I dropped a stroker Chevy 383 in a CJ-5 I used to have. Cheap to build and lots of power. If you really want a solid engine in that Jeep go with the Chev 350. Sorry guys, I have a Ram too, but facts is facts.

35/15.50-16.5 Swamper SX's on Weld Wheels
Line-X Bedliner

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
By far the most common swap is the chevy 350. The ford 302 is gaining popularity though. Advanced Adapters can set yu up for any kind of swap though.
I have seen V6's (buick, chevy and the old jeep version) 327's 383's the AMC 401's and the 350's all in jeeps. The main question you want to/need to ask is "how much do ya wanna spend?"

·
Registered
66 Posts
i say drop in the 5.0 engine that u have right now, or the 5.2l from the dodge that you have. personally i think that the 302
v-8 that jeep made during that time would be the easist cause they were put in there and you know that it is all compatiable with the tranny and the transfer with no conversion parts to buy.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Viper....do you meen 304? AMC never made a 302 Ford did. I would not go with a AMC motor because it will cost to much and aftermarket parts are not as plentiful.Go woth either the Ford 302 or a Chevy motor. If you have the cash I would go the stroker route...I wish I did, now I am gonna probably build a whole different motor. One of those World Products "motown smallblock" 415+ cid I am gonna look into one.

·
Registered
28 Posts
the 302 is a really good motor, and it has really good aftermarket parts that are comparable with the prices of chevy. another thing to think about is weight. the 302 would be lighter than the 350. and advanced adapters makes the conversion peices that are needed. I have a 302 in my mustang with 110,000 miles on it and it has given me no problems and I don't baby it, I just take care of it, and it takes care of me!

·
Registered
954 Posts
No one has mentioned the almighty 440???

Seriously though. In a CJ I'd go 350. Real EZ.

Mine MAY get a 318 or 360 in the DISTANT future. If I find a totaled V8 ZJ it'll be cake work. Then time for a Dana60.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
On 2002-05-15 02:07, cord318 wrote:
No one has mentioned the almighty 440???

Seriously though. In a CJ I'd go 350. Real EZ.

Mine MAY get a 318 or 360 in the DISTANT future. If I find a totaled V8 ZJ it'll be cake work. Then time for a Dana60.

Cord! Wake up I think you were sleeping again. I don't think Julia will LET you dream like that......lol

·
Registered
13 Posts
On 2002-04-18 21:56, TX Ram 98 wrote:
whats the easiest V8 engine to drop into a CJ7? i am thinking about buying one and i want to have a powerful engine in there

I am in the process of putting a 350 into my 94 yj, and that isnt too hard to do, but definately mopar is a good way to go, but its alot easier and less expensive to find parts for 350s

1 - 20 of 24 Posts