Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took a look at this today.

20ft deck with 9 feet over head. 6,000 pound axles. Inside looks to have 3/4" plywood on the floor. Under the trailer there are no supports length wise just across the width and those are about 12-14" apart...

Checking to see peoples thoughts on if that will be enough to support the buggy inside (guessing after the rebuild it will be close to 4,000 pounds.

·
Registered
5,783 Posts
looks more then fine to me, looks stronger then my flat bed and my jeeps gonna be HEAVY

·
Registered
8,931 Posts
Did someone build it or is it factory? Most trailer ive seen have at least 2x6's under the plywood for strength. It may be enough for a buggy, but you would wanna park the tires on the braces. And that would be hard to do everytime. Id almost pass on it or see if other trailers are made that way. I know my toyhauler had a lot stronger floor in it and it only was rated for 4K cargo in it.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It wasn't built as a car hauler (barn doors and no floor tie downs). The trailer itself definately built strong enough for the buggy but I am thinking I will need to do some re-enforcing on the floor. So far I have thought about another layer or 3/4" ply wood, 2x8s or something along the wheel travel area, or laying some some diamond plate on the floor.

·
Registered
5,783 Posts
o i thought you were talking about the steel being strong enough ... i never thought about the floor itself

i say take a circular saw cut the floor out in strips 14 inchs wide down to the steel beams, and then put some plate steel in and weld it to the frame from the underside, i would think something like 1/4 would be strong enough then you could go back over top with 1/2 inch plywood held down with construction adhesive

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
I'd run some Aluminum Diamond plate in the Hauling area for rigs. That would be more then enough.

Rick

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After checking with a few friends who have enclosed trailers this setup is normal so I may not have to do anything. Now lets just see if I can work a good deal...

·
Registered
142 Posts
Just another idea but how about some tie down strips? They would help distribute the load some I would think.

http://www.easternmarine.com/120-Series-E-Track-Horizontal-Strip-Galvanized-43001/

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I think I am going to end up using the e-tracks system.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Boom!

34', extended height. shizznit is nice!

·
Registered
5,783 Posts
looks real good, you gonna turn the top deck into a camper setup?

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
mopar said:
looks real good, you gonna turn the top deck into a camper setup?
Yurp.

Just cleaned it out and measured the deminsions inside. I have 23' on the lower deck and 9' on top. Top will house my bed, TV, and cabnet for misc stuff.
Going to do something like a 20-30 gallon fresh water tank and put a shower stall inside right next to the up right. Will serve great to for showering after muddy RC races.

Shower to go right in front of the TV.

Battery and electric jack storage. Yes I said electric jacks!

·
Registered
8,931 Posts
Those electric jacks are life savers. I had them on my toyhauler and it was nice. Looks like it will be a nice setup.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts