Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my eletric fans today finally. The storm last week up near dallas got them backed up a few days. These things are massive. They are the flex-a-lite 290. Comes with the adjustable thermostat, dual 15" fans, mounting brackets, and the fans are in a shourd that is just extremely solid. I may install them one day this week but I will probably wait and do it saturday.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I was just reading the instructions and it says to hook the wires up to the A/C clutch and that the fans will run whenver the clutch kicks on. Why would you want them to come on whenever the clutch engages?? I know that the motor runs warmer with the a/c but it will cycle when the engine gets to the right temp so is it gonna be neccesary to hook them up to the clutch??

·
Registered
1 Posts
you need cold air going across the condenser otherwise your ac wont do much, also the heat saturation increases the pressure on the high side so if the pressure switch is working it will shut down if not something will probably blow out.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Keep us updated on the install, I've been thinking about doing the same thing with electric fans. I"m curious on how easy the install is. Are you going to go with an electric water pump also?

Steve

·
Registered
323 Posts
They look really good! I looked at their website, but it didnt give any application for Dodge's. Definatly keep us updated and info on how the install goes. (pics would be nice too )

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On 2005-12-13 06:13, Tempsho wrote:
They look really good! I looked at their website, but it didnt give any application for Dodge's. Definatly keep us updated and info on how the install goes. (pics would be nice too )

They dont make any specificly direct bolt up for the dodge trucks. These are a universal fan. I will be sure to take lots of pics of the install.

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
You could send that deal back and make your own shroud, out of aluminum, that covers the ENTIRE radiator, buy a couple of 14-16" fans (like Rick...RamSport59...did), and the wiring, controls, etc., and get the same or better results for about $200-$250 less.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On 2005-12-13 11:14, SoulSurfer wrote:
You could send that deal back and make your own shroud, out of aluminum, that covers the ENTIRE radiator, buy a couple of 14-16" fans (like Rick...RamSport59...did), and the wiring, controls, etc., and get the same or better results for about $200-$250 less.

If I was able to make my own shroud and all of that good stuff then I would of. But i cant so I had to do it this way.

·
Registered
111 Posts
i ended up using 2 complete late 80s early 90s taurus electric fans on the 408,there 2spd like the viper fans and flow an INCREDIBLE amount of air. one fan is more then enough to cool my blown 408 down,with both fans on at hi speed, my temp doesnt even rise on full throttle blasts down the 1/4 or while 4wheelin,kept the tranny fluid ice cold too. lmme dig up the posts and ill throw up some pics

heres some pics,im going to the yard again to find another fan,i didnt realize the shrouds were different,i like the style on the right,very smooth and somewhat factory looking..

[img=500x375]http://www.dodgetrucks.org/gallery/data/500/medium/Image019.jpg[/img]

[img=500x375]http://www.dodgetrucks.org/gallery/data/500/medium/Image021.jpg[/img]

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I like that setup, what did you use to attach it to the radiator, those plastic zip tie looking pieces?
Will it fit on the left (driver) side just as easy?
that is where my tranny cooler is.

edit: do you know if the 4cyl & 6 cyl Taurus used the same fan setup?

I found one for $45, but it's off a 6 cyl.

thanks

·
Registered
111 Posts
i bought the heavy duty fan mounting kit,cost me 30 bucks jsut for the pull and lock kit,but well worth it,as the fans are kind of heavy. get the fans from a mid/late 80s to early mid 90s v6 taurus with the 3.8liter.

i had to trim some of the molded shroud to get it to fit the radiator perfectly,but other then that you just gotta drill a few holes in the shrouds for the zipties...and wire them up. i cant recall exactly but i know i aid less the n100 for everything,including cost of fans,relays,temp switches,and the wire and mounting kits.
On 2005-12-14 07:29, chizzle1 wrote:
I like that setup, what did you use to attach it to the radiator, those plastic zip tie looking pieces?
Will it fit on the left (driver) side just as easy?
that is where my tranny cooler is.

edit: do you know if the 4cyl & 6 cyl Taurus used the same fan setup?

I found one for $45, but it's off a 6 cyl.

thanks

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Hey robert, you will love the fans. I installed mine a few months back and they are perfect! :bigthumb: I did not use the brackets though. I decided to build my own so I could have a place to mount the control box. I have some pics. on Nicks site. http://www.txwheelers.com/modules.php?name=gallery2&g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=378&g2_GALLERYSID=a7707b7d8ea1de7c9c50d7f7037c40d9

Bottom of 1st page and top of 2nd
:bigthumb:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts