Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a stupid question. I am electrically challanged.
My right turn signal stopped flashing. STayed on, did not flash. I got a h.d. flasher when I bought my truck to go along w/ my tow kit. (freakin miracle i found it in my truck still) So I pulled the dead flasher and put in the heavy duty flasher. Is this flasher sending more amps to my lights since it would be used to power the trailer lights also? If I am not pulling a trailer will it burn out my turn signal bulbs faster?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Shouldn't be a problem.

The flasher is just a relay that opens/closes a circuit (like a toggle-switch). Since the current "sent" to the lights is a function of the load (wattage of the light) and the voltage (12-14.4 in a car), then the light is determining how much current it gets.

So no change as far as the light-bulbs are concerned. This flasher is probably rated to allow more current to pass through it (won't get as hot and die) than the stock one.

The only way to push more current through the lights is to give them more voltage.

Miswire a dual-battery system (put the battiers in series for 24V), and you would probably fry most things in teh truck, but this shouldn't break anything.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thankyou
kinda thought that. they must have been to lazy to swap flashers when they put the tow package on the truck. easier and cheaper to just throw it in the glove box.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts