Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, my best bud has a 2001 Durango 5.9L R/T and he had a 3in body lift installed and fitted it with 33" Super Swamper SSR's. Does anyone know some websites with other Durangos or some pictures, or other ppl with Durango experience? he just can't ever find any info on this awsome ride, Thanks Again.
--Dixie

·
Registered
340 Posts
try <!-- BBCode u1 Start -->http://www.truckworld.com" TARGET="_blank<!-- BBCode u1 End --> go to the Readers Rides/Dodge SUV section.. DDGETHS

98 1500 360 4x4 3" Tuff Country lift,33" G/Y MTs, Amer. Racing Atlas 15x10s; K&N Air Filter; Con-ferr front axle truss; Warn grill guard with 12000lbs Warn winch. Cobra CB; Grizzly double bend Nerf bars; Lund Bed cover and Tool box; Rough Country Big Bore

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
i heard that the r/t for the durangos is only an appearance package. is that true? does anyone know what the benefits are?

·
Registered
807 Posts
my parents owned one but just sold it. it has 17X8 inch wheels, diferent tires, 3.92 gears, all wheel drive, a mean sounding exhaust, a much tighter suspension, 2 tone seats, running boards, and the timing is bumped up requiring it to run 92 octane gas. the handling on that thing is like night and day compared to a regular slt durango. one magazine i read campared its handling to a 96 mustang cobra. not bad power either, alot more responsive and nothing could beat it off the line with the awd. even in the rain. its not real fast, but its a fun vehicle to drive.

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
if only dodge did the awd in the dakota r/t. hey, theres a project for me! anyone have a dakota r/t to donate?

·
Registered
340 Posts
shoot they have just come out with a lift for the 2000's. Only problem is it is 1300 bucks for 3 inches... Wew got to love that IFS... HUM 1300 for suspension lift or 150 for a 3" body lift.. I have a friend trying to decide this right now.. DDGETHS

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
RTs (at least the daks) get different heads, cam, and the chip is tweaked some. I don't know if it's a Mopar Performance Chip, or if tossing in the MPC instead of the stock one will still get you some gains.

But the 5.9 RTs run nice.

For engine info, look for the Dak pages. Most durangos end up being soccer-mom-mobiles, but it shares so much with a Dak that it should carry over.

I'd go with a suspension lift. A suspension lift is going to raise the differential some from the tires, and then lift the frame up some from the differential. Which gets you more clearance under the truck, before you start adding the larger tires.

Even an inch or two will get you a lot, if you're going through mud....

But if it's street only, a body lift may be fine, but it could look kinda funky.

my $.02

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
His Durango has the 3in body and it looks MEAN with the 33's, the running boards were replaced with chrome smittybuilt bars. Its not a street vehicle but he is waiting for the same 5.5 that is avaible for the Durangos up to a 99. His has the lowend towing package so its kinda slow from a stop but has enought torque to re-locate my house, and it is very responsive after about 30, Thanks Guys.
--DiXiE

·
Registered
807 Posts
dakota r/t's do not have a different cam and heads, if they did they would have alot more than just 5 hp over a regular dakota/durango/ram with the 5.9. i dont know about the chip. the only engine differences i know of is a free flow exhaust, and the timing is bumped up.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I can remember a red durango about 8 or 12 months ago on the cover of Peterson's I believe, he was running a 5" or 5.5" skyjacker ans 3" body with 38.5" superswampers, it was sweet.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
On 2002-02-28 21:17, canyonero02 wrote:
dakota r/t's do not have a different cam and heads, if they did they would have alot more than just 5 hp over a regular dakota/durango/ram with the 5.9. i dont know about the chip. the only engine differences i know of is a free flow exhaust, and the timing is bumped up.

yeah the only thing different on the dak r/t is its computer. the heads and cam are just normal 360 parts. if it had the r/t cam and heads the numbers would be over 300hp. the r/t cam by itself according to dodge add 35hp.

·
Registered
66 Posts
the r/t package on the dakota is the 5.9l v-8 with 250hp, special wheels adn tires, lowered suspension, and a special exhaust, i think it is the same with the durangos except lowered only it has standard 4wd, limited-slip, 3.92 gear ratio and it is basically ever option standard that u can get with the lower durangos

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
the dakotas cant get a 360 unless its a quad cab or the r/t. they have a lot of r/t stuff you can bolt on to it, but you have to purchase it seperately. but with just a couple bolt ons and a supercharger, they will run in the 12's.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
quad cab do you mean 4 full doors?
Cause when we where at California speedway there where several dakota R/T's and they had the 5.9 and there where just xtra cabs.
I could have sworn ive seen R/t's with standard cabs.
Hey its better then the Chevy S10 Xtreme. I talked to a lead mechanic at a chevy dealer and he said the only difference is the body kit and rims. all the other options you can get on a regular s10. At least dodge makes big performace improvments and puts a little more beef under the hood.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
My bad with the R/T cam/heads.

Seems like the R/T Dak boys get a lot more out of their setups than the standard Magnums do, though.

Oh well. Thanks for the clarification.

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
with the dak's they have 4 engines: v6, 5.2, 5.9, and the 4.8 now. you cant get the 5.9 unless its a reg/xtra cab R/T or if its a quad cab. i think its standard on the quad cab because of the extra weight.

·
Registered
66 Posts
the dakota has four engines, but they are the 2.5l i4, 3.9l v-6, 4.7l v-8, and the 5.9l v-8, dodge isnt using the 5.2l anymore: u can get the r/t package in any of the three body styles: u can get any engine with the quad cab, except the i4

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
R/T's do have 250hp, and they come in regular cabs (special order only) and in extended cabs. They don't make one with opening rear doors like the Rams. You pretty much have to order R/T's nowadays, not many dealers stock them anymore. They are definitely a blast to drive. A few mods and you are up over 300hp, and supercharger, performance computer, cold air intake, hotter cam, and better igition, and you are a Ford Lightning Stomper...:wink:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts