Off Road Vehicles banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad has ona the new HD's with the duramax and i think that thing rocks but some people dislike it alot..what r all u guys thoughts on it??

·
Registered
969 Posts
The aluminum block might be less weight but they warp much easier and tend to blow head gaskets more frequently than cast iron.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
well i hate to bust all u cbevy lovers bubble but if u currently own a duramax u should be expected a RECALL NOTICE because the blocks are warping due to the high compression of a diesel and messing up the heads

·
Registered
537 Posts
Chevy's Duramaz diesel is the best for towing, but my freind has one, and he says they lag big time in acceleration, and they idle way to loud. If those aren't a factor, then Chevy's Duramax is the best truck.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Sportram is right on the money! the chevy dealer next door to us has had all kinds of chevy cylinder head problems. Thats the downside to aluminum.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I dont have any use for a chevy.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Oh I almost forgot.. U G L Y !!

·
Banned
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
HAHA the thing has 35's n it and it still take's off... i am a dodge guy but sorry guys it kicks the Dodge diesel's ass not to mention the Ford's....weve driven both and they dont have near the power that the duramax has and the noise level is incredibaly low for a diesel..no way near that of ford or dodge....and if u think it is ugly wait till i send u some pics..its not the chevy its the GMC they look alot better chief

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I just have to laugh, you guys and your petty, immature Dodge vs. Chevy vs. Ford crap. I mean, get real, not one of the big three makes a bad truck and you can find faults with any of them. I drive a Dodge Ram and have owned three others, that has been my preference thus far, but Ford and Chevy both make awesome trucks. Give it a freaking rest.

·
Banned
2,769 Posts
well put. i like dodges and all but i dont understand how he can say it idles to loud. those things are so damn quiet. ive driven the truck white sport is talkin about and it is bad!!

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
The new dodges are not as nice as the 94-2001 Body style but....It is hard to mess with perfection. The Chevy's on the other hand, the 90's bodystyle was horrible, and the 97/whatever to 2001 sucked more than a prostitute trying to score some crack. I will not refute the Chevrolet power plant, but the body, come on they have been ugly, and still are the worst of the BIG 3.

·
Registered
464 Posts
God, I hate to do this... I love diesels you all know this... But Chevy can not build a Diesel to save their life. Before the duramax they had something they tried to pawn off as a diesel.

RamBrdr, as far as being best for towing... how did you come to that conclusion?

It isn't a ford/dodge/chevy thing... its a who has the best Diesel thing. Dodge uses Cummins, they don't make cummins. I don't love the Dodge Ram just because its a Dodge, I love it because dodge decided to go for a true heavy duty Diesel. Ford is finally coming out with a reputable diesel, but Chevy (I was a chevy guy, so this pains me to say) isn't picking up the ball.

Comeon... think about it... all the stress a Diesel engine is under and what does chevy put it in? A ALUMINUM!!!! block. High performance high rpm motors should be aluminum block because they're designed for sports cars. A Diesel thats wrapped up in Aluminum is a joke in the diesel world.

They might make power and such in the short term, but come back to me after 250,000 miles and see how you aluminum block diesel stood up against the Cummins. I guarantee! the cummins will outlast it.

I work for Uhaul out here in Phoenix and we have alot of diesel trucks at my store. One of which is a Cummins transplant into a GMC chassie. The truck has 324,000 miles on it, the Cummins was installed after 89,000 miles. That means that the Cummins has stood up to over 240,000 miles and STILL runs amazingly strong. It still has the original turbo and intercooler that came with it, and after 240,000 miles of towing LOTS of stuff, stop and go driving, etc... I can't see a aluminum block diesel still running strong.

-Chris

6" SkyJacker Suspension Lift Springs w/ 3" factory blocks, Custom Axle Vents & Steering Shaft/Knuckle Joint, 35X12.50X15 BFG AT/KO's on 15X8.5 American Racing 767, 360 w/ 2bbl & Crane PowerMax Cam & Valvetrain

·
Registered
464 Posts
WhiteSport, if the Duramax kicks the Dodge's Cummins butt, then answer me this?

Why does the US Military, various tractor trailer makers, construction equipment companies, etc... use Cummins instead of Duramax?

The answer is because the Duramax is another one of chevy's attempts at a Diesel. They (or whoever designs that hunk of aluminum) tried to make a diesel act like a gasoline motor. Diesels are NOT supposed to act/sound/run like gasoline motors, and if you wanted that characteristic you shoulda bought a gasoline engine. If you want **** your pants, tear the truck apart, pull anything you could ever imagine POWER buy a real Diesel that has a strong, proud, distinguished history like Cummins, Cat, International, Detroit (just to name a few).

-Chris

·
Banned
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
because the duramax is new..lol all i can think of...and have u driven it yet??
and settle down this is nothing to piss your pants about chief...were just talkin here
White 2000 Dodge 1500 Sport 4x4,5.9L 360, 5.5 skyjacker suspension lift, dual steering stablizers, 36x14.50x16.5 Mickey Thompson Baja Belted Tires, 16.5x12 weld super single II wheels, flowmaster dual exhaust, xenon headlight bulbs,SS speed grille insert

·
Registered
145 Posts
Ok guys,
being a diesel guy, and from another side of the worksheet (International's, as in Ford), I just couldn't help but put in my two cents. first thing, Chevy's Duramax diesels are actually Isuzu diesels (Maybe because GMC ownes quite a chunk of change of stock of Isuzu). I think GMC understood, after the failures of the 6.2L and later the 6.5L diesels, they needed to use somebody elses diesel. This is the same motor found in the Isuzu Mudium duty trucks (we are talking commercial, as in tow trucks to dry vans) used for years. Second Ford's Powerstroke is made by International. International is by far the number one medium duty truck manufactur. Third as you all know Dodge uses the Cummins. Intersting note, Dodge will start using Mercedes Diesels (Those used in the current production Unimog in Europe... and for more info on the unimog, go to 'other 4x4' forum) by 2003 in there 4500/5500 Rams. So these motors aren't really who they say they are? I am not going to say so and so is better than the other, because I can't. If you want to read a good article, to which you can base your own opinion on, pick up the December 2000 issue of Truck Trend. Pages 20-25 offer comparisons of the Ford/Chevy/Dodge trucks. And then pages 62-64 talks about the duramax itself. Come on guys I agree this isn't a Ford/Chevy/Dodge thing, it's really about the diesel engine itself, and which one offers the better benefits your looking for. Take care, got mud?
Joe

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.