Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, over here people said that you need a constant change of those after any 'wheelin in sand or mud, because they're abrasive and scratch the ball and consecuently, they fail, leading to vibrations and so on. What's the truth? they do really last a short period of time and need constant replacement, or they are durable and will last a long time?

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
nope. ball joints suck. Heim joints are the way to go whenever practical, very durable, especially the Chromoly ones. Take a look at the professional Rock Crawlers out there, you will see NOTHING but Heim joints on them. And they spend OODLES of money on their rigs...

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
Beast I beleive that Castro is talking about that ones, because we was together this morning and talket to a friend (Mechanic) and he told us that those rod ends will fail frequently, because they wasn´t sealed and the sand, mud, water, will go inside the end and broke them frequently. This is because I want to install on my truck the Performance Unlimited Bullet Proof Steering, and this sistem comes with this kind of ends, What do you think about them?

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Well even if the fail over time they dont break and fall off the truck. The ball joints would become warn out and you would feel play in the joints. A new trackbar with a ball joint costs 300+ from dodge, the rebuild kit for my DT bar is around 30 dollars, the DT Bar supposedly will not wear out anytime soon, the 3 trackbar's on my ram last only 24 months between the 3 of them. Now I understand you were talking about that Performance Unlimited RockProof Steering System, so lets say you get that, im sure all the heim joints are the same on the system, they are strong and high quality, buy an extra joint, if one ever goes bad its a cheap 30 bucks and 15 min. with a wrench to fix it.

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
I have to agree that they can wear faster since they are not sealed and not greased. I also agree that rockcrawlers prefer them, but they are not generally exposed to teh same elements as a mud truck or general off-road vehcile.

You may want to look into Johnny Joints. They offer greater operating anlges, are just as string as most heims and are rebuildable. They just dont look at cool though.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I've been thinking about this...

The rate at which they wear would be based on the materials used, and the tolerances involved.

The tighter the tolerances to start with, the less likely stuff is to get in there.

But a chromoly joint is going to be F*CKING HARD. Much more so than the steel that are used in the stock-style rod-ends, especially the track-bar rod-end....

Worth asking the people that are doing the work, though. As those joints are expensive.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
The Chromoly Heims are not going to break without SEVERE abuse to them...I imagine they will last awhile...That is what I am using for just about every application I can...might as well do it right the first time...right? :):

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
i dont know, even if you do wear out a heims, when i put a 4 link suspension on my nissan, the 7/8" black max chrome moly heims were only $20 a piece, but that was in 1996. im sure they are still cheaper then a ball joint from dodge.

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
Thanks Jason, By the way, where can I get those joints?, and where can I see an aplication cart or something like that? Are those joints made by Currie Enterprises?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I checked with MarkFlip, as I know he's looked into this before, and he confirmed that the clearances on a heim are so tight that you don't need to worry about sand getting in and wearing things. Also, because they aren't lubed, there's nothing to attract the sand and make it stick.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Currie enterprises has the johnny joints. In fact, in their catalog said that only Currie manufactures them, and the others are just imitations.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Yes my DT trackbar has a cromoly joint at the top, the bottom is the normal polyurethane bushing and steel sleeve.

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
So, Woody you say that if I buy the Heim Joints, I wouldn´t have any problem with them, even if I summerge the truck in mud, sand, dust, etc... Hope so, because I will go for a DT track Bar and don´t whant to have any problem with the joint. Biginuf, you kick the hell out of your truck, have you had any problem with the heim joint?
Thanks all of you guys for the advise and orientation that you give us. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I'm not sure which orientation I came across as... Hope it was straight!

Anyways, considering what I've seen people go through with the DTs, I don't think you'll have any worries from the mud. :):

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
Ok. I will try the DT´s and if it works good I will try to go for the Rock Proof Steering sistem, that use the heim joints.
Thanks Again.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts