Off Road Vehicles banner

Dreaded Jeep Cherokee rear "clunk"... Nope not it

1K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  JasonB 
#1 ·
My 02 Cherokee has been getting louder and louder with what seemed like the common rear "clunk". It can be a multitude of components that cause it. Spent a few times looking under the thing with a pry bar trying to move all the joints, the sway bar end links, the shock mounts, etc. Checked the driveshaft and pinion play and exhaust. Everything I could think of. It does it under load, no load, in neutral, on bumps, accelerating, decelerating, coasting, cornering. But never consistently.

Been driving 4,000 miles with the noise, but handling and such were fine.

Crawled under it the again this morning. Turn my head while rolling on the creeper and notice the nut that goes though the transmission mount (its setup very much like an engine mount) is backed off 3/4" and hanging on my a few threads.

Put the prybar under the mount and sure enough, its moving all over the place. Tighten it down and the thing is super quiet now. No more clunk.

And to think I was about to buy a complete 6.5" long arm suspension just so everything got replaced that could get replaced. Oh well, next time. LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.