Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to upgrade to a new head unit and was going to swap out the door speakers as well. I can't afford a component setup, nor an amp.

Since I am not going with a component setup and no amp, do you recommend 2-ways or spending the extra $30 for the 3-ways. I would like to limit the speakers to $100 per pair. Head unit will be 22w rms/50w peak.

I do NOT have the Infinity system so it is just a regular speaker setup. I know that the factory crap is 6x9, but the depth is an issue. Aftermarket 6x9's are too deep for the 2 3/4" mouting depth limit (from Crutchfield). Going to go with 6 /12" or 6 3/4" speakers.

Any suggestions? I am going to order through Crutchfield since they have decent prices and include the mounting and wiring for the head unit and the mounting plate for the speakers.

I don't need anything super fancy, jsut somethign that has good range. What do you all run in your front doors?

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Jason,

I swapped out my factory 6X9's out with Alpine 3-way 6X9's and didn't have any problems with the depth. I did have the Infinity Sound System, so I have the tweeters in the pillars. I'd go with the 3-way speakers for more clarity. Don't forget, if you are going to do-it-yourself, get one of those door panel removal tools. This tool allows you to pry up plastic door panel fasteners without damaging the fasteners or door panels. I made the mistake of using a screwdriver to pry the door panels off and I had to buy new door panel fasteners. Crutchfield is a good source for car audio and they have really good deals often...

Good Luck! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
266 Posts
Quite frankly I like the Alpine 6x9's...I had them installed when I put my head unit in............

Brett

·
Registered
969 Posts
i swapped my factory 6x9's for 2 Jensen speakers and they fit perfectly.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I don't see how the mounting depth can be that thin. I have my entire infinity system out for the last 6 months and those 6x9s were deep.
I would shop around cause the prices at Crutchfield kind of suck. I got my speakers for maybe 2/3s of what they wanted.

I would get a good set of 3 ways for the front and the same for the rear if you replace them.

I went with some expensive Kicker seperates for the doors and the pillars. They sounded great in there.
I would seriously do some searchs on Yahoo shopping once you know the brand you are looking for.

Bill

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
a buddy of mine has a car audio site
<!-- BBCode u1 Start -->http://www.matrixcaraudio.com" TARGET="_blank<!-- BBCode u1 End --> hes got some pretty dang good prices. tell him james (with the charger) sent you.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I bought Pioneer 3-ways for less than a hundred a pair from Best-Buy, thats kinda like Circuit-City(didn't know if you guys had a Best-Buy out west) I havent installed them yet(lazy) anything I need to know except about that door panel tool?

·
Registered
54 Posts
well.....

The thing you have to remember when dealing with speakers and no amps is that if you install a speaker and fail to run it an ample amount of power then you will melt the cones to terrible sounding goo. I would go with the 3-ways, but steer clear of the high prices. My best bet would be to watch local ads for the sales and pull out the good deal on a top of the line brands, but not the models. Boston Acoustics make beautiful speakers, and they range from 85 a pair to over 300. Look for something that has a recommended avg wattage around 50 and i don't see how you could go wrong. Stay away from Polk though...lol.

-zach-

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well the head unit I am looking at is 22w RMS/50w peak. The speakers I am looking at have a recommended wattage of 2-70w with a 120w max. I figured that since I was in the middle of the recommended, I should be good.

Besides, I am not one to really blast my music and I am by no means an audio expert. As long as it plays clean music I am happy.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
http://www.ramvenom.d2g.com Check out my Rig link Jason, that is what I put in mine, sounds great and wasnt to bad on the wallet (helps when you work for Best Buy Part time!) But you could easily forget the amp and it will sound awesome! Does you truck have the tweeters in the A pilar? if it does, go with the 2ways and wire in the tweeter from the A pilar. Also, if you want, go with the 6.5"s in the back instead of the the 5.25"s, they are cheesy and plus the 6.5"s fit with out any mods

·
Registered
537 Posts
I got some Sony Explode 6X9's 3 way. When the volume is low, you really can't tell the difference between 2 way and 3 way, but when you crank it up, oh yea. Its Definatly Worth It. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
78 Posts
I also have Pioneer 6x9's in the front doors. They fit fine and are rated at 220 watts. They are wired directly to my Pioneer deck which puts out 45 watts by 4 channels. Sounds great w/ no need for an amp.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I measured 2 5/8" of "safe" depth before worrying about the window when I had mine apart.

the 22w RMS, 50W peak "should" be ok, depending on the radio. Who's it by? Teh $150-200 Pioneer decks advertise that kind of power, but can't deliver it. There's no law about false advertising of power for mobile audio like there is for home audio.

Cheaper units will only push the advertised power on one channel at a time. But it's not really a problem unless you listen to music pretty loud.

Definitely get the tool for the doors!

What headunit and speakers are you looking at?

I can recommend the Blaupunkt Santa Fe headunit. $160-$170 from Crutchfield, and it sounds REALLY good for the price. Decent power, too. Will deliver more than what my GF's speakers can handle, we can turn it up pretty loud in her Pathfinder, and no amp clipping, but the speakers start to max out their excursion, and start to buzz as well. But they've been in there a while, and while not stock, not great.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Well, I guess we brought this topic back from the dead, I installed my Pioneer 6x9 3 ways, without a hitch, and without the door panel tool. But pep boys does sell replacement door panel clips (in the section with wire and clips) And the Pioneer 3 ways sound great with my deck, I couldnt be happier. :D:

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Too bad I found them 2 months too late, I allready made the factory ones work a sec. time, I had to use a flat head screwdriver to straighten out each little piece of plastic, or should I say I made my girlfriend use a flathead and straighten out each little piece of plastic.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My .02 on this subject as an installer is don't waste the money on 3-ways. If you look closely you will see that the other smaller tweeter-like thing has no wires going to it. thus no power going to it. it is just a diaphragm that vibrates when pressure is applied from the soundwaves of the larger cone. I would guess that you are looking at a Kenwood deck? They are the only ones I know of that actually advertise 50x4, but tell you elsewhere that 22x4 is RMS. What you want in your case is the most efficient speaker. One that can work well with minimum input power. I personally like Pioneer for this scenario. By the way if you do decide to upgrade again, they will accept amplifier power very nicely. Our demo Exploder had the Pioneer 5x7 plates and we put 200 watts of Precision Power on them and they are still going. It's all about clean power.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
i have found some very good prices on new speakers on ebay. i bought 2 10" pioneer subs for $100, they would normally be close to $100 each. there is plenty of stuff out there just make sure what you get is new.

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
JL audio makes a 6x9 that clears the window when it is fully rolled down. They are called the VR series, they are a 2 way and they sound awesome, plenty of mid bass and awesome highs.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts