Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 93 Bronco (full size), if I press the power lock button inside and then try to unlock the door with the key from the outside, it won't even turn. Something gets the mechanism in a bind. I sprayed the mechanism with wd-40..that didnt work...so I sprayed brake cleaner to get rid of all the dirt and grime in there....cleaned it up some. I then greased everything with white lithium grease and it didn't make a difference. Any suggestions? Or should I just plan on replacing the lock a$$embly??

·
Registered
162 Posts
If the key won't even turn plan on replacing the whole lock cylinder unless you can get it to free up with some lock lube or something like you have already been trying.

·
Registered
24 Posts
you probably have a stuck tumbler in the lock cylinder. do to ford putting thick grease in their locks. Dont go buy a new one, just pull it out and take it to a locksmith. They will probably just have to rekey it. Should only charge 15-20 bucks, fix your problem and keep it on the same key. Once you have it out of truck, see if it works, if it does your linkage is binding or you have other issues. does your key work on the passenger side?

·
Registered
230 Posts
:withstupid: take it out and try it if it works then you have something else wrong.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea those three screws holding it on....i cant get enough on them to break them loose...been spraying with penetrating oil and still cant get em loose

·
Registered
122 Posts
On 2005-12-10 22:42, DeerHunter wrote:
On my 93 Bronco (full size), if I press the power lock button inside and then try to unlock the door with the key from the outside, it won't even turn. Something gets the mechanism in a bind. I sprayed the mechanism with wd-40..that didnt work...so I sprayed brake cleaner to get rid of all the dirt and grime in there....cleaned it up some. I then greased everything with white lithium grease and it didn't make a difference. Any suggestions? Or should I just plan on replacing the lock a$$embly??
I have the exact same problem on my 98 explorer. I can pop it open from the inside but if I lock it and am outside I gotta crawl in through the passenger door.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts