Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
THOUGHT I WOULD SHARE....
If anyone wants to take off the door emblems like I did, all you need is a hairdryer. First the door emblems, get them good and hot maybe about 90 seconds of heat with the hairdryer about 3 of 4 inches from the paint, then slowly pry the emblem(ram1500) or (v8) start at one end and as you make progress shoot the hot air under the emblem from one end. pull gently and slowly at a constant speed. There are no holes in the door to fill, just an adhesive 2 sided tape. For the tailgate stickers give the them some hot air maybe only 60 seconds or so worth and pic a corner on the "D" to start with and slowly pull, keeping the hot air blowing under it, they key with both the plastic emblems and stickers is get them warn and keep the air under them while pulling slowly, and also, dont use any tools, just the hair dryer and your finger nails. Very easy to do, I also took off my side molding like that. If you have any q's just ask.

·
Registered
683 Posts
That sounds easy. I've been pondering over whether or not I want to do that. My truck was wrecked about a year ago and thought about telling the body shop guy just to leave them off. I like the looks of it either way but the decision to do it to my truck is tough.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Heres a hint, only do it if your truck is less than 2 years old. A friend of mine tried it om his 94 and it didn't turn out so well.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I guess im out of that range. not much though.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
The paint will be faded if you have had the truck for awhile. Thats most likely why he said if its more that 2 years old. You take off the emblems and it will look like a shadow where they once where.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
some of the colors ive seen people do to trucks that were 95-96 rage, but colors that i would not recommend doing over 2 or 3 years old if definatly the red and black. the silver and white "should" be ok, you can always get new adhesive and puth them back on, start with the small V8 symbol and use that as the test.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
from my bodyshop expirience (my dad and uncle has been doing body work for 30+ years each).. dont do it if its a metallic paint, red, yellow. white and balck dont fade. to get the glue off either use the 3m rubbr wheel or Prepsol.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I pulled the "sport" emblems off my truck about 18 months after I got it (2000 Black). There were "shadows" there until I hit it up with meguires Deep Crystal cleaner and polisher.

I figure it was the difference between the waxed and unwaxed paint.

I just walked up to the truck on a hot, sunny, July day here in San Jose, and started peeling. Came off in less than 10 minutes.

A little goo-gone and the remnants of the adhesive was gone, too.

Pretty easy to do, and it gets rid of those hideous SPORT tags on the hood...

But I'd be cautious about doing it on any older vehicles... But the upside is it's just vinyl, so you can always get more at the dealer.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I done it to my truck when I got it repainted last month. Then I bought some emblems off of a 2003 dodge, (the chrome letters) and put them back in place where the old ones were. I think it looks a LOT better than the stock emblems. I have a red truck, and when they took them off, before they painted it, you couldn't tell they were ever on there. The paint wasn't faded. I also had all the handles and the gray part of the front bumper painted red to match the rest of the truck. Looks pretty sharp if you ask me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts