Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My 98 Ram 4x4 has a toasted tranny, $1600 rebuilt estimate... I'm done with this truck and I will sell it after the tranny repair since just bought a 06 2500 Cummins.

I have found the a 46RE tranny a guy will sell me for cheap and everything worked perfect with it when he removed it but it's a 96 and mine is a 98...

[size=+1]The question: Does the 96 46RE tranny will fit on my 98 Ram???[/size]

If it foes not fit, what need to be swapped?

Thanks for your help guys! :wink:

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
The 96 is a 46 RH non computer/electronically controlled..its hydraulically controlled.

Your 98 is a 46re and IS computer/electronically controlled.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
It will fit, but just wont work correctly for what wiring setup you have.

You want to find another 46 RE for your 98 to swap in.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I thought the 96's started the RE's? Or am I wrong and was it 97? Anyway as long as it truely is a 46RE it should work. If it's a 46RH which is the model Bajabomber is talking about then it would be better to find another one.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Your right 96 started with the re but I'd do some checking on your tranny to make sure you dont have an early 96 with an rh in it.

Weird Sh*t happens sometimes.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
On 2008-08-13 13:48, bajabomber87 wrote:
Your right 96 started with the re but I'd do some checking on your tranny to make sure you dont have an early 96 with an rh in it.

Weird Sh*t happens sometimes.
Ok yeah I wasn't positive I was just thinking I had read that. Yeah I'd check like he said though and make sure it's a RE and as long as it is it should fit. If it's a RH it probably would be a lot of work to make fit.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Zacharina you change names pretty damn fast now

:rotfl:

The 46rh would work since its hydraulically controlled but I cant see the truck working perfectly and not throwing codes since its not getting any electrical feed back from the transmission.

Getting it to fit isnt the problem as their the same exact trans pretty much, its just getting them to work is the problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts