Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a published list somewhere on the internet that spells out exactly what you can and can't do to your truck in order to not void the warranty? I'm just wondering what I can and can't do.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Probably the best thing to do would be to contact your local Dodge dealer. Who knows they might have a brochure or something you can get.

·
Registered
255 Posts
You know, a buddy of mine works for a GM dealer and he told me that some of the GM cars store information such as 0-60 times and top speed. For example, one time a Corvette owner came in and said there was something wrong with his car well, they ran it through the computer and came back the top speed was like 150 or something. So the dealership voided his warranty, said F' off and don't come back.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Most new vehicles have the ability to keep track of a persons driving habits so if you bring your vehicle in for repairs, they can hook it up to the computer and find out what the top speed you have had it up to, if/when and how many times you have had it redlined etc. So if they get someone in that redlines it all the time and has had it up to 150mph they can tell them the warranty is void.

·
Registered
8,237 Posts
can we say big brother. thats bull!! if they set the redline at 6k and it cant handle 6k rpm then they should have set it lower. they are building a car to last and thats what the warranty is there to make sure of. if they are gonna void the warranty at 150 mph then they should put a governor on it with a warning saying that you will void the warranty to remove it.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
why would they make the car capable of 150 mph and then void the warranty for using the car for what it is capable of. the one guy i work with had his tranny go out on his silverado. he took it to the dealer nad it gave the exact speed it went out at, 68 mph.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Hawaiiluver is absolutley correct on this. If the vehicle has a speedo that say, goes to 180mph, it better have a rev or speed limiter on it to prevent it from going that high, or else it should go that high. It would be the same if I spent $200k on a Lamborghini with a top speed of 220mph, and I wanted to go that fast and they said my warranty was voided due to "excessive speed" when the vehicle was MEANT for speed...just like the guy with the Corvette, it is designed aerodynamically for speed, light chassis and body panels for that VERY purpose, and if the dealer told me to pack sand after spending $50k on a new Corvette, I would tell him to get ready to go to court...I would really be suprised if whoever told the Corvette owner to pack sand still had a job, I would make sure to get that guy fired. If you are not allowed to go fast or something like that, it will say so in your warranty booklet that comes with the car, otherwise you are free to do what the vehicle is designed for---just like my truck is a 4x4, and it is designed for offroading, so I offroad it. I don't do like Rawkon does, and jump the truck (geez!) where there was actual physical damage (which was cool carnage by the way, all my Dodge buds here got a big kick out of it!), then yes, they would void the warranty. Just like when I grenaded the whole front end, I payed for and replaced everything out of my pocket because it was my fault, I understand that. Also, keep in mind that not all dealerships are the same, what one dealer won't do, chances are that another one will to get your business. I have come across that many times in the past. There is no consistency as far as which shop will repair what defect or problem. That is something we as Ram owners have to deal with unfortunately, but we survive. For those of you in the Bay Area, I suggest taking your Rams to Brentwood Dodge in Brentwood, out past Concord. They are the best, and will work on modified vehicles (at least, last time I was in Cali they did) without question or complaint. Also, remember that there is a Federal Law that protects you when you modify your vehicle, the Magnuson-Moss Act, that states that the dealer has the burden of proof when it comes to mods on your truck. Like when they said my suspension lift caused the failure of the tranny---they gave me absolutely no proof how it happened. So I am going to sue the pants off them, and I will win. It all depends on how far you are willing to take your case--if you don't pursue it, they win. Remember, YOU are the one who payed all that money for your rig, NOT them. They should treat you with respect.

Hope this clears things up...

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Cummins,

The warranty is can't be voided by aftermarket parts, unless they can prove that aftermarket parts did the damage.

Suspension lifts are obivously ok, but soemtimes larger tires without larger gears and they can start pointing the finger at you.

In your case, Dodge is getting REALLY picky about BOMB'd diesels fragging the rest o the driveline. Something about 1000lb-ft of torque eating the transmission at 5-10K miles, and people trying to claim it under warranty.

If you want to do Diesel go-fast-goodies, then you should have a manual tranny, or just accept the fact that if you start having engine problems, that Dodge won't warranty it.

Best bet then is to find a Cummins shop in the area, and use them exclusively for engine work. Bit more expensive, but they know oodles more than the dealers do about the engines.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Woody, I do have the 6 speed tranny so I know it's good for a few more ponies and all I really want to do is get it up to about 300-350 hp. That would be good enough for me until the warranty expires, but I don't know what is acceptable or not. Whomever said on here that it is easy to get caught with the B-bug (bombed bug) was absolutely right, especially when you've got so much power sitting there and then you see that for $700 you can add 150hp and just under 400 ft/lb. and you haven't even touched the Intake, exhaust, injectors or fuel delivery system yet. Just thinking about it is enough to give a person your username (Woody)

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Understand.

Best bet is to go with something like the Edge EZ or COMP, but not go with the big injectors until after warranty, depending on the chances you want to take. The EZ and COMP are both removable (IIRC), so you can pull them when you need to take it into the stealer.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
but it also says in the owners manual that the warranty doesnt cover damage due to racing also. probaly what the service manager was getting at how he had gotten that high was by going down a track of some sort, be it the 1/4 or a road course. its still s***ty, since they have no proof on how, why, and where he was going that fast.

·
Registered
52 Posts
i have about ten inches of lift on my 1/2 ton and when i take it in to get things fixed i asked to see what was still covered i was told that pretty much everything was. i have had to get the alternator, a new power steering pump (it happened before the lift was put on), the front main seal was leaking and so was the power steering box. the guy that i go to knows everything that there is to know about dodges.
Hag

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Notice how everything you just mentioned that was replaced or fixed was inside the engine compartment...and not underneath the truck. What lift combo are you using to achieve 10" of lift? Inquiring minds want to be tall like you...

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
If you drive your truck at all then Chyrsler is gonna try to get out of fixing it, best thing to do is get a vacume sealed tank and keep the truck there and never drive it, just peer through the observation window and look at it. If not they are gonna try to screw you. Invest in KY Jelly.

·
Registered
6,243 Posts
Anybody know anything about Ford's interperatation of their warranty? Basically, Ford believes that their warranty is completly "volentary". Meaning that if you bring in your brand new Ford to a dealership, and they don't want to fix your vechicle, they don't have to, and Ford will say the same thing. Crazy huh? I heard a talk radio show in houston where they found this out, and called Ford's corporate office and asked them about it on live radio. Ford had no response. The show called Ford everyday for a couple of weeks, and Ford never game them a straight answer. Why would anyone in their right mind ever buy a Ford??

1 - 16 of 16 Posts