Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep reading about all you guys that are having tranny problems especially after you lift and put bigger tires on. I am just curious if this is just on auto trannies or am I going to have problems with my manual tranny as well. I went with the stick because I heard all the horror stories about Dodge's auto and with the stick I got the heavy duty tranny whereas the auto for the 1500's is a light duty. Should I be worried and just forget about lifting this thing or will the manual be just fine, anyone having problems with their manual tranny.

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
As I read, it seems that the tranny problem is just with the Auto, not with the manual, the only problem that you might have if you abuse is the clutch. I beleive that with the manual tranny you won´t have any problem.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
The problems with teh Autos is that they get too hot and start to ahve problems.

Manual transmission use straight-up gear oil, and are a MUCH different environment for heat. Pretty much no worries.

Just don't lug the engine below 1400 rpm in 5th gear, and you'll be fine.

The older NV4500s used spin the nut off that holds 5th gear into place when lugged that low, but only the Diesels had that problem. Gassers don't have the torque down that low.

Also, the manuals don't have as high of an overdrive as the ATs do. 0.75:1 on the MT vs. 0.69:1 on the AT.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts