Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize in advance if this has been hashed before but my search wasn't helpful. I'm thinking I need a rear sway bar for my 03 Dodge Dually. Any help is appreciated. I haul a heavy truck camper and the truck rolls from side to side.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
moparacer said:
I apologize in advance if this has been hashed before but my search wasn't helpful. I'm thinking I need a rear sway bar for my 03 Dodge Dually. Any help is appreciated. I haul a heavy truck camper and the truck rolls from side to side.
Well, I spent the last few hours on the web and came up with a Roadmaster bar that's suppose to fit my truck. Don't know much about this company but it appears to me this is about the heaviest sway bar available.

http://www.towshop.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=667&idcategory=119

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
8,931 Posts
What kind of camper? You may need to just stiffen up the rear suspension on it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RamAford said:
What kind of camper? You may need to just stiffen up the rear suspension on it.
It's an 08 Arctic Fox 990. Weighs almost 5k loaded but all the holding tanks are low, built into the floor. I guess it was just built top heavy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I have a sway bar and some Torklift Stable Load spring pad spacer do-hickies coming. My truck already has the air bags and they do raise the truck back up level but it still rocks a lot. Hoping the new parts wil fix it.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
so you have a dually and your only pulling 5k and your having problems. is the trailer bumper pull or 5th wheel?

·
Registered
5,783 Posts
i think he has a slide in truck camper ... i could be wrong

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
You are right, slide-in camper. I can't believe an '03 3500 doesn't have a rear sway bar. My '98 has one, along with my '01 2500.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Jason said:
You are right, slide-in camper. I can't believe an '03 3500 doesn't have a rear sway bar. My '98 has one, along with my '01 2500.
Maybe they think that wide ass rear end and heavy duty springs would be enough:dunno:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Long overdue update!

I got the Roadmaster sway bar, then the Torklift Stable Load pads for the contact overloads.

The sway bar went on the truck first and it helped a lot. Like some of you said, I'm surprised there wasn't one on the truck from the factory.

A few months later I put on the Stable Loads. Now the truck handles almost like a sports car. :bigthumb: Well, maybe not quite but you get the idea.

Before the spring pads went on I had to run about 70 PSI in the Firestone air bags. Now I usually have 25-35. The truck rides level and the body roll is probably 10-20 % of what it was originally.

The one odd thing is the lean I can't get out of the truck now. My camper's a lot heavier on the passenger side due to the slide-out, refer, generator etc. That makes the truck list over to the right side about 1-1/2".

Before I installed the sway bar, I could adjust that with more air in the right side bag but now, with the rear sway bar, no matter how much more air I put in the right side the list stays the same. :dunno:

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
You may want to level that load weight out better, for safety reasons. That would probably be the easiest solution. Maybe move the generator to the other side?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts