Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98' Dodge Ram and I have had to replace the heater core 2 times in a year. Anybody know why this happens? how to prevent it? Has it happened to you? Any help would be great.

·
Banned
1,533 Posts
2 TIMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! oh no! I had to replace mine 1 week ago and it cost me $700 to have it fixed it better not go bad again... :(:

·
Registered
502 Posts
If a heater core is leaking it is caused by excessive pressure.
I do not know about the Dodges but alot of other cars have an inline restrictor that prevents too much water/pressure from pushing its way into the core.
If this is left out then the core gets the full pressure of the cooling system and blows. It is very commen for someone to change the heater core hoses and leave the restrictor out since they didnt know it was just slipped into the old hose.
Very commen on Fords. A new core only lasts 6 months at best without a restrictor.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a 97 and have had to replace mine once. I found two handfulls of leaves and debris. My mechanic tells me that the Dodge OEM cores are cheap and low quality. I replaced it with a better aftermarket core. The other problem is that the core has no space between the bottom of the core and the tub that it sits in so any leaves that get in there sit against the core. Leaves are acidic (or basic) in water so with condensation the core just rusts away. Now I don't park under trees.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Do you have AC, cause something in the AC system could be causing the heater core damage.

·
Registered
275 Posts
are you just using water

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
How do you know when it's time to replace the Heater core? I have a '98 with about 120,000 miles on it. I'm not leaking any coolant or anything. It's always full when I check and the coolant color still looks fine. My current question, at idle or at low speeds, the air blows out fairly warm. Only at higher, above 45mph, does it blow out hot air? Any help please?

·
Registered
969 Posts
Its a pain in the ass to repalce a heater core cause they are usually located in an awkward spot underneath the dash.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts