Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
I think that the off-road ram just comes with a different suspension package then the regular ram 4x4s. This is most likely a stiffer suspention and maybee a little taller. I probably doesn't have a body lift unless one has been put on it. I've seen that some of the suspension lifts available for 4x4 rams say they dont work on the offroad ram but i dont know why. You could probably call the lift manufacterer or the place where you would get the lift ask them why the lifts dont work on the off-road ram and if they have any lifts that do(i'm sure they make lifts that do or parts for the lifts that will make them work on the offroad ram).

·
Banned
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah ive had some guys tell me that the off road has a factory susp lift and i was likei dont think so.. and i pulled next to em and we were the same hieght( before the lift)..so i think it is just a diff susp packg too.. but i wasnt sure

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
No bodylift just slightly stiffer/taller coils springs, with heavier duty shocks, and taller tires.

·
Registered
896 Posts
I'm pretty sure the Off Road package is just front springs that are about 1" taller than the standard 1/2 ton springs. I think they may use a slightly taller block in the rear, if anything. I'm not sure if the Off Road package even lifts the rear. I think it may just level the front, as they always sit a bit low in the front without it.

If you buy a suspension lift, you'll lose any advantage you had with the Off Road springs, because the kit will replace the springs. So if you bought a 3" Skyjacker, you would only net 2" over what you have now. So basically, any spring lift you plan on buying, subtract an inch from it, and that's what you'll get. If you only want a small lift, I'd go with 2" spacers for the front. You keep the stock springs, except you mount a spacer on top of it between the spring and frame mount. That way, combined with your Off Road springs, you'd be 3" taller than a non-Off Road package Ram. For the rear, you can buy a whole new spring to eliminate that stock block, do a shackle flip, or go with add-a-leaves.

Hope that helps.

I think the best part of the Off Road package has got to be the towhooks. If you plan on modding it, you lose the rest of the parts. New springs with a suspension lift, which will also need longer shocks, and good luck finding tires for the 17" wheels. Why Dodge put 17" wheels on a OFF ROAD package is beyond me. They should have went with 15"s. Now THAT would be offroad.
245/75R16 Cooper Discoverer S/T's
RE adjustable front track bar, OME SD40
Mopar skids and hooks

Member# 666!!

·
Banned
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah thats what really sucks..is that my truck doenst have the tow hooks..they should put em on all the 4x4's

·
Registered
63 Posts
one of my friends has a 2001 offroad and had a 3 inch pro comp lft installed. this lift used spacers so he kept his stock springs not sure how big a lift this would be on a regular 4x4 ram but he is running 37x12.50x17 bfg at's on his stock rims. he also has a reneul bumper and winch so he probably lost some of his front lift. does anyone know what kind of front axle these trucks have?

·
Registered
219 Posts
hybiak,

I have a 2001 offroad as well. i just put a 3" BDS kit on top of my offroad parts. i have around 4.5-5" lift. i want to keep the stock rims and run 35's. i wasnt sure how 37's would clear. does he have any rubbing issues with a lot of flex? it looks like 35's may even cut it close. do you have any pictures?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
My tow hooks cost me $2300. Cours I got the bumper, winch, and lights free!

·
Registered
63 Posts
silver offroadster,

he does have the 37's on there they look like they barley fit and they do scrub an awful lot. his suspension doesn't seem to flex very well. this guy is notorious for running to large of tires. he had a TJ with a 2 inch lift and he ran 33 inch tires on it.

sorry dont have any pics. His dodge is now for sale he just got a new chevy heavy duty. I believe he wants $22,000. its not worth the money, truck has been abused badly.

·
Registered
63 Posts
anonymous
back toward the top of the forum was a discussion about the coils that offroads come with . read the one from Mike97ZJ

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Mike,
The offroads have to have 16" or larger due to the larger fron brakes, they only fit 15's if they cut away some of the caliper and the heck if the factory would do that. I think they went with the 17 over the 15 because Furd has been doing that on thier OR so they followed suit. I like the 17" wheels... I dont have them but they handle better if you do drive on pavement alot... plus... I dont like huge amounts of rubber

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hey guys,
I've got a 2001 1500 quad cab off road that I am going to be putting tires and possibly a lift on this weekend.
Before I do anything I thought you'd like the stock fender opening heights without mods.
39.75" front and 41.75" rear
That is with stock 275x70x17's.
I have a deposit on a set of ProComp 33x12.50x17 M/T's but after seeing this truck (http://www2.aeronix.com/~dudleydodge)and doing some checking around...
I saw that Interco just came out with a 35x10.50.16 SSR Superswamper. With a 3" lift and swapping to 16" wheels... this tire fits and stays pretty well under the fenders.
Now to convince my lady that this is the best place to spend our tax return instead on those pesky bills... Maybe if I sell the factory off road 17x8's... hmmm...

·
Registered
77 Posts
The tires are the Goodyear GSA's.
They just turned over 35k today.
The backs are pretty worn (about an 1/8th" of tread) The fronts look like they are at least 1/2 there. (I never rotated them)
I saw a set of off roads for $400 on here without tires... maybe $400 with tires?
I honestly haven't looked at that aspect of this yet.
If I can swing the tire/wheel package would you be interested?

·
Registered
275 Posts
ok on the offroad the truck is 2 inches taller than stock 1500. to get a 3 inch lift you have to use a 5 inch control arms with the 3 inch spacer as for running 33 on the offroad they fit with out no problem i have been running 33 for tha last 5 months with out a rub and yes i use my truck.i think it looks fine

·
Registered
80 Posts
I know that the off-road packages that come from the factory our about a 2" lift. Throw a 3"body on there and some 35's and you will be so happy. Also I have a 3"sus and a 3"body with 37's and I hate to say it but I rub when flexing. Hopefully will get 7" sus sometime soon.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts