Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the type of person that hates doing things twice, so with that in mind. I have a 2001 quad cab 4x4 with 285/75/R16's and no lift. Eventually I want a 3in lift and 315's after my tires go bald probably in another year or two. The problem is right now I hate the factory look with the front 2 inches lower than the back so I want to lift the front either with spacers or the Skyjacker 2" coils but then when I put the 3" lift on I would have to take them off which would be doing things twice. What I would like to do now is put the Skyjacker 3" coils and new front shocks on now leaving the front an inch higher than the back until I can get the add a leaf and rear shocks for the back to level it off. My question is will doing this without the doing the pitman arms, etc. hurt anything. I will be getting the rest of the skyjacker lift kit over time before I put the 315's on. Any advice would be appreciated and sorry for the long post.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
To have the 3" lift coils, you will have to replace the lower control arms with new longer ones, to keep the axle straight up and down. They do sell them separately (unless you get teh kit), and they are mandatory. 2" spacers will work well for the front end to level it out, but has long term negative affects on the front end.

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Just put the 3" lift on now and stick with the 285/75's. I ran that setup for 40,000 miles before the tires went bald. Then I went up to 315/75s and kept the 3" lift.

Looks good with that setup (better with 315's but still damn good)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The only problem is I don't have the money for the full blown kit but I could start piecing it together so long as it wouldn't do any harm to the truck that way. Also I am only talking about a few months after the coils and add-a-leaf before I could start getting the rest and I definitely wouldn't do any hard wheelin' until I finished the kit. So would this do any harm to the truck?

·
Registered
285 Posts
What are the long term negative effects of the 2 inch daystar spacers? What extra stress would they cause that any lift kit and larger tires would not cause anyway? I am considering getting the 2 inch daystars and rear add-a-leaves for better clearance for my 285/75/16s.

·
Registered
118 Posts
i would go ahead and get the 3 inch kit now and be done. i got mine for under 500 bucks from national tire and wheel. the 3 inch kit only changes the springs the lower radius arm and puts a add a leaf in the rear and all new shocks. there isn't a new pitman arm, that doesnt happen until you go to a 5 inch kit. and by the way i layed the new arms next to the old ones and they were the same length.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So if the control arms are the same length then why do they put them in the kit, are they a stronger arm or something?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Hey isgibb I'm in the same boat. I called skyjacker and they said their replacement arms are 1/8th of an inch longer. So I'm going with just the 2.5" taller coils, new front shocks, and 315s.

·
Registered
22 Posts
im in the same boat too.i just purchased a 2002 ram quad cab and im getting the 2" spacers and im putting the 315s on my buddy has the same set up looks very good!

·
Registered
362 Posts
No doubt, I ran the 3in suspension with 285's on stock rims, and it does look good, Now I am about to add a 3in body lift and am waiting for my xterrians to come in the mail 315's on 16x8's with 4.5in backspace. You can run this rim and tire with no problem with just the 3in lift. Look at jason truck in the tech section under 3in procomp lift.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tweaked, I would go with the 2.5" coils but I am afraid that 315's would rub too much, some of the guys or gals on here that have the 3" lift and 315's say that the tires rub a little at full crank and that is with a 3" lift so I worry that 2.5" would make that worse. I did notice that you have a 3/4 ton and wonder if you have bigger wheel wells than my half ton, if so then you might be OK.
If the control arms are only 1/8th" longer than stock then how does that help.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Isgibb, when Tweaked said he was going with the 2.5" coils that is because on the 2500(3/4ton) trucks the skyjacker kits are 2.5" and 4.5", where as the 1500 kits are 3" and 5.5"

1 - 12 of 12 Posts