Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the rear end of my 95 ram 1500 360cid rebuilt with all new bearings and seals two months ago. Ever since the pinion seal has leaked so my mechanic installed another with a stainless sleeve. Leak is Still there and now the pinion bearing is howelling again.
My mechanic is good and my best friend...
He is stumped and has ordered the front bearing to replace again. Is he missing something?
He thought it may be a blocked vent but it checked out OK???
Please help...

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Common problem with the 9.25 axle...

He may not be getting the preload just right on the pinion bearing. May be too much.

People with the problem tend to have it over and over again.

Mine will whine if I decel just right, at certain speeds, but I've heard some trucks from a lane or two away on the Hwy.

Sorry I can't be more helpfull, but have him double-check what he preloaded it to with the FSM, and if he's a REALLY good friend, he might vary the preload slightly...

Also, the crush sleeves can't be re-used...

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
the problem is the pinion bearing is undersized. compare it to a furd of chebby bearing and youll see what im saying.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We haven't done the repair yet. I will post with results. Can a larger bearing fit?
The crush sleeve is for the seal, why do I need to replace it again? Wouldn't a new seal with the old crush sleve work after the pre-load adjustment and bearing replacement?

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
On 2002-02-15 09:08, 2thelmt wrote:
We haven't done the repair yet. I will post with results. Can a larger bearing fit?
The crush sleeve is for the seal, why do I need to replace it again? Wouldn't a new seal with the old crush sleve work after the pre-load adjustment and bearing replacement?

are you going tobe able to get the preload back to exactly the spot where it shaped the crush sleeve like it did. nope, thats why you replace it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts