Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are the installed pics of my new diff guard. It comes pre-painted black with hardware. $69 at http://www.fourxdoctor.com and based on "ping" tests, the main ring is tube, the center supports are solid

·
Registered
896 Posts
That is deffinitly very cool. I really need to get one of those, hope they make them for D30's. Seems like everytime I go wheeling, I smack my front diff on a rock.

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes they make one for the D30. You can not protect the entire diff on most stock rigs becuase the tierod gets in the way. A lot of people reinforce the "hump" portion with thick plate welded to the cover, but it is ugly.

Don't think it is really neccessary on any rear diff since you are ususally moving forward.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Looks good jason, for $69 its a good investment.

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Definately a good investment. If you loko close at the first 2 pics, you can see a dent in the cover just above the main bar and inline with the left support (small rust colored area). It is about 1/4" from the ring gear from what I measured. If I hit the rock any harder, I might be ordering a new gear set...

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I took a big whack at it, but nothing major since it is now protected and not actually touching anything.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Actually your probably just as lucky that the rock didnt bend the tie rod considering it runs right across the axle housing. Although a tie rod is less expensive than new gears :D:

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Looks good Jason!...now all you gotta go do is hit a mud hole to blend it in with all the other hardware down there! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Im wondering if this would work up front with out affecting the tie rod???

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
shouldn't bother the factory steering setup

·
Registered
536 Posts
Hey Tunis, who made that diff guard? It does look like the Avalanche Rock Ring but theirs is a little different (thicker ring with recessed allen head bolts). That thing looks nice!

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
That diff guard is made by Ron's Custom Shop:

http://www.ronscustomshop.bigstep.com

I just ordered this rock guard:

·
Registered
295 Posts
I don't know the rear cover may be good too!! Jason, don't you remember getting stuck on the rocks at Hollister below the campground. You had a rock trying to eat your front and rear diff at the same time. As well as one eating your drive shaft too. I think everyone must have blanked that very interesting trip out after torch's evening show. :burning:

You get stuck and have to back up your rear end is prone to rocks too.

96' Dodge 2500, Cummins Diesel, white.
01' Kawasaki ZX-6E Ninja.
91' Quarter Horse, blaze face, bay.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I seen and repaired ripped open rear diff covers on the Rubicon. Granted, they may not see as many whacks, but they do get damaged. Heck, had to pound my jeeps rear cover out a few times. Fortunatly, it's never really leaked .. a lot.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Ron can also fab up a diff guard for the rear Chrysler 9.25, but the only problem is that the diff cover has a rolled lip, so you would need to ground that down in order to install the rear diff guard. Has anyone seen a diff guard for the rear that protects the front of the diff housing, other than an axle truss???

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That rolled lip is serious PITA. Mine is rolled up and when I need to remove my cover I need to pry, beat and other things to get the bottom 3 bolts out....

Next time I am am going to grind the lower roll off.

I have never seen a gaurd that protects the front of the diff (the nose portion) as it is pretty thick cast steel to begin with. I have dropped on, scraped over and run into mine with out problems... yet.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts