Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of the diesel guys on here added any performance to their trucks?
I was looking at the Bully Dog stuff the Torque Dog and their exhaust systems. I am wondering how well these work. I have seen a couple articles that look good but am still unsure.

thanks.
Bill

·
Registered
295 Posts
Haven't done anything to it yet, since I'm not sure I'm keeping it. But I was thinking about getting a big rig muffler and 5" pipe all the way. I found a place that sells them. What do you think about that?

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was looking at the 4 and the 5 inch kits. I guess I would have to see what the stock size is. I would not want to go too big. At some point going too large will lose torque.

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Banks Power Pack or a TST Performance upgrade. TST also has upgrades for the auto trans.

Also suggest an exhaust brake (not a jake brake as won't it work on the Ram).

There are now computers out there for the Rams (Chrank and Chrome did a show on tweaking Sam's 3500 Ram and it picked up quite a bit of power). Also something that plugs inline with the fuel pump to up its output as well.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Don't know too much on the performance end, but when I was down in Pismo, There were alot of diesel rigs with exhaust systems and they sounded really wicked! I'm not sure exactly what manufacturer, but from what I saw, they were all basically the same...one huge exhaust pipe exiting right before the passengers side right rear tire!!! :D:

·
Registered
27 Posts
On 2002-01-12 20:28, Bill_L wrote:
Have any of the diesel guys on here added any performance to their trucks?
I was looking at the Bully Dog stuff the Torque Dog and their exhaust systems. I am wondering how well these work. I have seen a couple articles that look good but am still unsure.

thanks.
Bill

If you're looking for short bursts of big power, I heard sometime ago that having a propane injector installed will work much like nitrous does on a gas engine.
Ed

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
There is the propane system from bullydog, and also they make specifically diesel nitrous systems, just like for gasoline engines. Diesel mall has them.

http://www.dieselmall.com/Products/NOS/default.asp

-Nick

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
From what I hear, propane is to diesels engins, what nitrous is to gas engins. A friend of mine has a (dare I say it!) ford power strok diesel that he's thinking of adding propane to.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So in my shopping around for parts that I won't need for a couple months I am seeing some serious difference in the exhaust systems for the diesels

There are kits that are all stainless and others that are just aluminized.

Most the kits are the single side pipe but I did see one that was a dual just like for non diesels it was all 4 inch into a muffler then two 4 inch pipes out with 5 inch tips. Other than the price the only thing I thought was strange is that the pipes were straight back. That cant be good for towing with a diesel. By the way the kit was all stainless and cost over $1200.

·
Registered
472 Posts
first of all you need to know what hp gains you want and then there are different ways to get there and things to be concerned about---

here's two of the main concerns when you upgrade the HP:
auto tranny or clutch
EGT's(Exhaust gas temperature)

since I have the 24 valve pumping out a dyno'd 397 hp(on diesel) I can tell ya little here--

there are different boxes you can add that can up the HP to different amounts--most of them are adjustable with the push of a button or the turn of a switch--adds 100hp +/-

new injectors that can add anywhere from 40-60hp, 80hp, 100hp, 125hp, 150hp & 200hp---now remember these are the advertised hp ratings some vendors are closer to their claims than others---

4" or 5" exhaust 7-15hp is the advertised, not to sure this is true--but they do sound cool

bigger turbo---lets you move more air to use those injectors to burn the fuel

propane--up to 100hp+/----there are different gains using different jets

NOS(nitrous)---up to 100hp +/---again due to the nozzle size

changing the fuel delivery system could be beneficial also----

if you're interested email me and I'll give you what info I've gathered----chris

·
Registered
23 Posts
bill, you might check out the diesel registry. theres a lotta info on there. you have to join(pay)to post, but you can read all the posts. most of the guys over there seem to use a product called the EDGE EZ. it regulates the engine to add torque and horsepower. then of course, you have to start changing injectors and trannies and etc etc...haa...but they all say it adds quite a bit of hp and adds mpg. some of those guys say they are runnin 400-500hp!!(stock is about 235. i dont tow much anymore or i might do it. i still may get the basic EZ to add mileage and some hp.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Bill,
I ran across this site when I was thinking about buying a diesel. http://www.enterpriseengine.com they make a twin turbo setup That will do 12second Quarter mile times. Check out the picture at, http://www.enterpriseengine.com/images/image4.gif I now have this picture hanging in my house!!! Hope this helps you decide that you can never go overboard on mods.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have been looking at the Edge EZ and the Torque Dog. I just want a basic box like that and a true 4 inch exhaust.

The exhaust should help lower the EGT. I will probably still put a gauge on it to be safe. I may also add a boost gauge.

I am waiting to hear back from a couple of these companies that I emailed over the weekend to try and get info on their products. If they want to make the sale they will get back to me.. if no I continue shopping. I have the time..

·
Registered
472 Posts
bill_l............. talk to Brandon F. at
http://www.xtremediesel.com

or Nowel at
http://www.performancediesel.net

both of these guys are great and will get you started in the right direction.....chris

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
csutton7,

Thanks for the info. It looks like both of these shops are kind of local. Modesto and the other is somewhere in the bay judging by the phone numbers. I would love to be able to go in and sit down with someone and plan stuff out.

I am interested in any more info that you have on the subject at well. I will email you tonight when I get home from work.

Bill

1 - 15 of 15 Posts