Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking to a couple of tech guys from Cat and Cummins. It appears that by October 1st ALL Diesel trucks have to go by emissions just like gasoline engines. They were saying that Diesels were already being outfitted with catalytic converters. Also some hybrids were already running on the street that use diesel fuel to start and then use propane to run. Looks like emissions are all over the place now and it looks like its gonna get worse.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I don't understand that. If they have to meet emission standards, then how the hell will diesels survive. They couldn't meet the standards of Mexico City. Good luck to all of you with diesels.

·
Registered
295 Posts
You can't get away with anything anymore! If I'm going to have to smog my diesel I'm going to be pissed. I know it's going to happen sooner or later though. Just hope it's alot later. There has been alot of talk about smogging diesels.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I am hearing talk of this as well but I don't think that you will have to smog diesels for another year or two yet. I will be beyond pissed if my new truck has a cat on it. I plan to get a full exhaust for it right way and a cat will cause problem.

I am not sure how you could really run a cat on a diesel since it would push the EGT's to a dangerous level.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Enjoy your trucks while you can :(:

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Here in Virginia we dont have that stuff, our state inspection is every 12 months, it includes all lights, brake system, exhaust(only checking for leaks), tires, and some other things like height, and width. Im sure there is more but those are the major ones.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well only 2 counties in Maine have emission smog checks. They are the 2 most southern counties so I know its only a matter of time before my truck will have to be smogged.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts