Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when I am going anywhere from 10-15 mph and I back up and then put it in drive an brake I get a loud bang from the front end. The shop says it is coming from somewhere related to the axle and not the brakes. I think it may be u-joints that wind up in reverse and then clunk when they let go in drive and vice versa? Anyone ever dealt with this? If it ain't the u-joints then something went wrong with the gear install (but I don't have any problems with them at all...perfect moon shaped patterns and everything.) OPINIONS AND ADVICE greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
969 Posts
If the gears aren't contacting correctly then they wouldn't make a sudden noise. They would whine constantly and the whine would get louder and louder.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
My truck had a clunk from day 1, I thought it was a prob, but apperently not. Did it just start or has it been like that?

·
Banned
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well its hard to tell but it has been going on for a year but the "pop's" are getting louder and louder.

·
Registered
160 Posts
If it's not the u-joints, jack up the front tires and check for play in the wheel bearings. They'll do goofy things sometimes when they start going bad.

·
Registered
255 Posts
The planetary gears may be going out. If you drive the truck hard that's what happens. When I say "hard" I mean not letting the thing come to a complete stop before shifting from reverse to drive and vise versa. Can cause some serious problems such as transmission failure.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Wheel bearings could be a problem, but if its been lasting a year I don't think it is a wheel bearing cause when they start to go bad they deteriorate fast.

·
Banned
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Going to tighten down the calipers today and check the u-joints as far as the tranny goes it is definately coming from the axle.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I would pull the cover and inspect the front end. Easy to do, and will allow to see if anything is "abnormal" in the front end. I had aproblem like that once...didn't inspect it until I was in Ocala, locked it in 4wd, no front end pull...hmmm...went back to camp, pulled the cover off, the small spider gears fell out, and the center pin was snapped into three pieces. I also had ripped the carrier slam in half! It was AWESOME carnage...I had never even opened the front end before that. Everytime I get done wheeling now, I inspect the front end. What have I got to lose, but replacing th egear oil, and some time and the assurance that I know that everything is okay?

·
Banned
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I opened it Xmas time. I really don't want to open it cause I have a bout $50 worth of amsoil in there but if the rest of these things don't fix it I have no choice...I might try to reuse the fluid.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
On 2002-04-07 12:41, Foolish wrote:
I opened it Xmas time. I really don't want to open it cause I have a bout $50 worth of amsoil in there but if the rest of these things don't fix it I have no choice...I might try to reuse the fluid.

does the amsoil fluid stink like regular gear lube?

·
Banned
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When it was new it did not stink as far as when it gets old...I have no idea. I got the race proven b/c they gave me a good price (Its the ones in gray bottles) its actually a blue colored oil.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts