Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well after getting stuck at azuza sunday, i am going to get a detroit locker for the rear, and ARB up front. now my question is, what detroit? i know pretty much nothing about the detroits so i need some input. i was on http://www.4wheelparts.com and they have several ford detroit lockers.
Ford C-locker
Ford EZ-Locker
Ford gearless locker
Ford Soft locker
ford true-track
and i have a ford 8.8 in the rear.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i dont know. if they do i will probably go with the ox. the air lines dont seem like they would be very good for offroading, thanks for reminding me about them.

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
ARB has been around forever. The o-ring problems are typically from lack of maintenance or improper installation. The Ox Locker has both good and bad feedback, but I have talked to a hardcore crawler and he loves his Ox Locker. Likes it better than his old ARB actually.

Go to http://www.tractech.com and click applications and find your truck and it will show your options.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Ive never really heard of the Ox. Is it a cable actuated locker or am i just confused. Also about how much do they normally run

·
Registered
704 Posts
I've got the Detroit No-Spin (full case locker)in the rear of my Ram (I think it's also called the Detroit No-Spin C-Locker because of our c-clip axles). After that's in you'll be suprised at what your Ram will do.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i just checked 4 wheel parts more closely. they only have a couple for the ford 8.8.
the C-Locker, and the true trac, what is the diffrence? and on that application chart, it only shows broncos up to 1982.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
the c-locker is the way to go, a true trac is just a limited slip, not a locker. If you can get an OX locker for the front, get it! Definitely the best out there in my opinion. ARB's suck, because you have to have on board air, and air lines, all that jazz. The OX is cable actuated, and when it is locked, it is LOCKED. When it is unlocked, it acts like an open differential. Definitely cool technology, and worth the money in my opinion. I would get one for the front, but I am waiting for the Dana 60 application to come out (for my eventual 1 ton axles), as the Dana 44 is too weak to support it and any kind of real offroading with larger tires...

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
The TracTech site lists the following

Bronco Rear 1987-00 Ford 8.8" r.g. C-Clip
For 3.08-4.56 ratios

Detroit/No-Spin (locker)..pn 187C-145A
TrueTrac (limited slip)...pn 913A311
Detroit EZLocker (locker).pn 813A024

The NoSpin is a full case locker which requires gear setup and is argueably the strongest automatic locker out there.

The TrusTrac is a full case limited slip. Its uses gears to apply torque to both wheels up to a certain point, then it becomes open.

The EZLocker is a drop in replacemnt for the side and spider gears. It does not require gear setup and you should be able to install it in your driveway. It is not as strong as a full case locker, but it is less $$$.

BTW, the OX Locker is the cable operated one.

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
On 2002-04-23 13:36, The Beast wrote:
I would get one for the front, but I am waiting for the Dana 60 application to come out (for my eventual 1 ton axles), as the Dana 44 is too weak to support it and any kind of real offroading with larger tires...

That is why I have no problem considering a Soft-Locker for the front end. Quiet and much cheaper than the OX. IF I ever upgrade later it wont be much of a cost waste.

Or I could install the softlocker and then upgrade to moser shafts and CTM u-joints.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i am going for the detroit in the back soon, then a couple months down the road, i will get one for the front. i have a dana 44 in the front, is that too weak for that OX? if so, what should i do with it?

·
Registered
969 Posts
In the rear axle stick a spool in there, less expensive and never locks/unlocks :bigthumb:

·
Registered
441 Posts
But arent spools bad for street driving? I really dont know, but I want to buy a LSD, locker, or a spool, but I dont know which one is best or at least good for both worlds.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
You can put the OX in the 44. Also, the 44 can be built plenty strong. Just remember that the majority of it lies in the driver. You will find that with your diff's locked you will be able to crawl over things you used to have to gas it to get over. Light right foot and you'll be fine. Besides if you really want to you can break anything and that includes a D60 or 14 bolt.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Vince,
yeah spools are bad for street, but nothing worse than a detroit locker. With spools the two tires spin at the same speed ALL the time. In the rear it would be even better than having a detroit cause it doesn't lock/unlock going itno turns.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
you can nogotiate with a detriot were as a spool will not. after awhile you can judge corners and power to and out of them. some you just bark threw, but you can save a little wear. go with the detriot

·
Registered
22 Posts
the 8.8's have the C clip on the axles so if you want the auto locker, you'd have to go with the C locker. Basically the same as the regular detroit locker except with a provision for those c clips.

There is also a way to eliminate those c clips. If you need more info on that let me know and i can scrounge up the info for you.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I forgot to mention. Look into swapping gears as well if you're going to be running bigger tires as the sizes of the lockers differ when you go up in gears.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Luv my ARB's I've had one in my AMC20 on my CJ-5 for 10yrs now. No problems with the air lines at all. Not using the electric pump, as my jeep has an on-board compressor. Plumbing it up was easy.
My truck, has one up front now, although it's not plumed to my air system yet, (just need to run the air line) I see no problems in it's furture either.
I don't see having an air supply as being a problem anyway. I firmly believe in airing down my tires when off road. Vehicle just wheels better!
I use my tiny air system (on the truck) to fill up my bike tires when riding also. The tiny tank holds enough air to give a short burst to blow dirt & dust off things as well.
A cable locker would be nice. Perhaps on my new truck.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
jay, what axles do you have on the c-clip conversion? do you have anything on the chrysler 9 1/4?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts