Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just want to make sure one more time what Air Filter System I want. Its either the K&N II with the Hughs Filter or the Volant System.

Here are my Questions:

K&N II: Was there a gain in HP, MPG, Power,
Anything?

Volant: Was there a gain in HP, MPG, Power, Anything?

Also what is the Hughs part number for the K&N II system? Where can I order from for a good price?

Sorry for beating a dead horse, but want to make sure I spend the money on something that is going to help me. Any pics would help out also. I do go off-roading sometimes and drive thru puddles and mudd, but nothing higher then the middle to tops of my tires so that is an issue because I don't want to suck water into my engine and mess it up.

BOB
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport Quad Cab, 5.2L Auto

·
Registered
24 Posts
Anonymous: If your slag a guy for asking for feedback on parts he is about to buy atlest have the nads to attach your name.
1) what the manfc say about there product and what it really does are two different things.
2) I think Bob knows were his air filter is.

Bob: I can't tell you any thing about either product but the mopar cold/air induction (with K&N filter) helped with throttle response and but no real change in MPG.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool. I didn't know Mopar made a cold air intake. Got a pic of it? How much was it?

Oh thats where my air filter is.....damn I thought it was by the back tires, hahahahah. J/K man...

Bob

·
Registered
24 Posts
YAH! sorry no pics, But what I will do is this week scan in the parts break down of it, and it ran me (if I remember right!) $300.00 CND(Canadian). So in eagle bucks about...$190.00. If I remember the site is moparperformance.com

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
The mopar kit look suspiciously like the K&N Gen II. In fact, I bet if you replaced the Mopar stickers with K&N stickers, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference....

:):

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Here's a picture of my Volant Cool Air Intake System with the Ram Air Scoop*

*you can see the opening to the scoop in the lower left hand corner of the pic right above the bumper.

Woody is right, the Mopar is the same as the K&N System, the only difference is the decal.

'98 Dodge Ram 1500 QC SLT 4X4 5.2, 5" SkyJacker Stage II Kit, 35/12.50/15 GoodYear MT/R's on 15X8 Weld Sidewinders, Flowmaster Cat-Back Exhaust System, Volant Cool Air Intake System w/ Ram Air Scoop, Custom Audio System.

·
Registered
63 Posts
the mopar and k&n are the same save yourself some money and by the k&n unless you really just want somthing that says mopar performance.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Thought I'd throw another possibility into the mix.
Check out http://www.intenseperformance.com

His site is geared towards Dakotas/Durango's, but I've emailed the builder and he says he's sold several to Ram guys. He offers a 100% money back guarentee if it doesn't fit.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Tunis
Howdo you like the Volant system? Any noticable gain? Would you recommend it or not? I like the idea of it being enclosed and it coming with a coldair intake.

Thanks
Bob

·
Registered
502 Posts
Bob,

The Volant makes a difference. The front scoope does not come with it. That is an extra $130 or so on top of the $280 or so that the box itself costs.

I liked the Volant enough that I am thinking about getting their box for my diesel as soon as I get it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What Scoop? I haven't seen the scoop before. Is that for if you have a ramair intake or is that for the cold air intake setup?

Bob

·
Registered
91 Posts
Ram_Man2001 check out this site if you are interested in K&N or Intense Performance
or anything else performance related

http://www.speedtweaks.net

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Tunis,

Be carefull how deep of mud/water you go through with that!

Can you remove the ram-intake and seal off that opening once you've added it?

I'd love to run something like that, but have it safely covered during off-road excursions. I really don't need the extra oomph off-road like I do on-road.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts