Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately i've been getting some slight death wobble when on the brakes between 45-35mph. I checked every nut, bolt and TRE under the truck and i had to tighten the Heim bolt on the DT but that was it. Then i noticed i have a bad TRE on the passenger side where it connects to the knuckle. It's not trashed yet but it's gettin there. Could this be causing the shake?

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
absolutely. I just replaced the tre on the drivers side and no shaking when braking now.

·
Registered
851 Posts
My truck does the same thing. It just kinda wanders when i give hit the brakes and my truck shakes really bad also. It shakes so bad that when i have a drink in my cup holder it just splashes out every where!! :wall: That really gets on my nerves. What could be causing it?¿

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
forgive my ignorance, but TRE = tie rod end? :-?:

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
IT IS WARPED ROTORS!! i have that problem with my rotors on my dakota and it will shake and kinda bob forward and back like its got intermitent brakes. i took it into where i workd at the dodge dealership and was goign to have the rotors faced and ahved to make the flat again but they were jsut to the point past where they sould safely shave them so i said leave it and i jsut deal with it. im soo used to it that it doesnt bother me no more its jsut when i buy somethign to drink i make sure it has a good lid on it when i oput it in my cupholder.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
GotSmoke? Yes TRE=tie rod end.

Dak it is definately not warped rotors. Both aren't even 6 months old and I can spin the rotor freely without it catching in any spots. Im leaning towards the tie rod end. Thanks for the help guys :bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
On 2004-06-14 20:04, GotSmoke wrote:
GotSmoke? Yes TRE=tie rod end.

Dak it is definately not warped rotors. Both aren't even 6 months old and I can spin the rotor freely without it catching in any spots. Im leaning towards the tie rod end. Thanks for the help guys :bigthumb:
OK, i didnt know they were that new i would say it would be rotors if they were stock or even if they were replacements and older than 6 monthes cuz my rotors started doing it when the truck was only 3 years old. but i had been running my BFG mud-terrains for about 2 of those years. so im also starting to lean toward TRE myself.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah i shoulda mentioned that my rotors are pretty much new in the first post. But thanks for the help anyways. I'll get this figured out soon lol.

·
Registered
427 Posts
i heard that new rotors are prime cantidates for warping when the brakes are used hard before break-in. had to replace the rotors on my brothers grand am after a month because they warped from his driving.

·
Registered
340 Posts
OK here's one for ya.

I have the same wobble between 35 and 40 mph. In the last year I have replaced:
hubs
rotors
brake pads
u joints
all TREs
tires balanced and rechecked
new MOOG track bar

and still the wobble. Now the only thing I have noticed is I have the old Goodyear MT's. So they are directional. If I rotate the tires front to back the wobble gets worst. It did seem to go down a little when I replace the TREs but it's still there. I'm not going to rotate my tires until I get a new set.. Pete

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Ball joints can cause this prob to. also it can be the drag link and drag link end to the pitman.

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
ddgthis sounds like you have a belt that is wandering in one or more of your tires.

gotsmoke, i wouldn't rule out the rotors, although i would replace that TRE first. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Edit: I replaced the passenger side tie rod and that solved allllll the front end shakes, wobbles, and clunks. It's funny because the tie rod end wasn't even that bad. But i guess it was bad enough. Thanks for the help guys :bigthumb:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Lately i've been getting some slight death wobble when on the brakes between 45-35mph. I checked every nut, bolt and TRE under the truck and i had to tighten the Heim bolt on the DT but that was it. Then i noticed i have a bad TRE on the passenger side where it connects to the knuckle. It's not trashed yet but it's gettin there. Could this be causing the shake?
I'm wondering if it's a common problem with Dodges I'm on a '06 Dodge 3500 Turbodiesel work van. The owner of the company put a new Allison transmission in it, but other than that, he doesn't service anything until it breaks down. We finally got new tires after the tread started flapping off the center of the tires. They're 10 ply tires, but I resurface concrete and we never have less than 2000lbs of weight in just mix. I didn't count the big buffer and pressure washer. Anyway, we've had a death wobble at least a month. Brake pads look new and the new tires are already wearing away on the outside edges. Only thing I noticed was the control arm bushings are completely gone as well as other bushings and we thought maybe a tie rod needed replacing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts