Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have the problem of their truck really, really tightening up when they installed their Daystar Spacers? Let me know, and how, if at all, you fixed it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
What do you mean "really tightening up?" I just put daystars on and did not notice the ride being any stiffer. I did change shocks, did you?

·
Registered
777 Posts
I installed spacers about 2 weeks ago. and I was noticing when hitting bumps just kind of a light loose clunking feeling. I tightened the shocks down tighter and it fixed the problem. Make sure and check your torque on EVERYTHING after the first 100 miles, and again after another couple. I am at 800 miles with them, and it works great.

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
I am a 4x4 but have had no problems with my spacers. to check the length of the shocks...
1. jack the truck up by the crossbeam almost off the tires but with some weight still on it.
2. unbolt the bottom of the shock. leave the top in.
3. jack the truck up until the front suspension is at full droop.
4. pull the shock down all the way until it either hits its internal bumpstop, or the lower a-arm. if there is a gap, then your shocks are too short.
5. measure the gap and call the manufacturer of the shock and ask them for the same type of shock, only xx inches longer. dont ever call a retail store for this, unless you really trust that store. i have recieved many wrong shocks that werent even close to fitting.

if thats not the problem, post and describe it a little better. see if we cant figure it out. jim, you have my cel number right? call me or stop by my shop. maybe i can take a look at it.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey James, I took off the shocks, and yes, they were too short. They were actually compressing the springs, because they were so short. I took the shocks off, the truck raised a little more, but when I drove, it would jump more. I went over a ditch at 25 mph, and the front end bounced a foot off the ground about 10 times. (I had a freind watch to see how high, and he told me a foot). I pressed the brakes to stop, and everytime the wheels hit the ground, they screeched like an airplane landing. The truck tires get airborn on every bump. Thank god I didn't have to turn. Ahh! Im driving my explorer for a while. Can you e-mail me at [email protected] your phone number, and where your shop is so I can stop by some time. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Did you end up replacing the front coil spring after all, and also where you driving with your shocks off?
I put the same coil spacers on my 2wd and i didnt need to change shocks. i also didnt get a way more stiff ride from it either.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It actually didn't need a new spring, and second, I did drive with the shocks off, but when I put the truck back down, the tires didn't even go back up, which means its maxed out so shocks are useless, because the springs shoot the tires down so fast.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
well if your driving around with no shocks and your truck is really bouncy.....nevermind
See if you can swap those shocks for some longer ones.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
oh also check to see where your bump stops are now. Mine where rubbing up against the spindle. that could have somethin to do with it.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I checked the stops. It aint them. Anyways, I will now have a chance to buy those Rancho's I want, but why the truck is so bouncy is beyond me. I need help. Tell James to e-mail me.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey James. I'll try some longer shocks, and let you know what happens. If this works, great, if not, then I guess its over because my dad will not pay anymore. And second, why the shop didn't pick up on it is beyond me. The old shocks were compressing the springs so that could be a problem, but i'll try longer ones. I think the truck is maxed out thats why. I'll let you know.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts