Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed a set of cross-drilled rotors in place of the factory rotors? Im going to order a set for the front and just want to hear any input anyone has to offer... :D:

·
Registered
424 Posts
I would be interested in that answer myself Tunis! I considered going Cross Drilled or slotted rotors to help disepate heat and get some better life from the pads running 35's! :):
How does mud/gunk/water actually affect the "holes" within the rotors? Just curious....(personally I think mud would pack into them and cause more wear on pads due to grit & particles!)
LUV24BY

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yep...that's why im swapping out the stock discs for cross-drilled/slotted units. the stock discs are not up to task for the added height and larger tires...and im having to change the pads more often than usual. im eventually going to swap out the rear drums also with a disc brake conversion which would help out the front brakes out as well...

about the mud, my exact thoughts also...thats why im posting to see if anyone has any feedback on that...

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
i had gotten a brand new set off ebay a while back for $50 delivered. hell even a std. rotor from pepboys was $65 for one. but i havent put them on yet. in the next couple of weeks ill be tearing apart the truck suspension to paint it and the frame cobalt blue metallic and will install them after painting is done. ive had to replace my back brakes(they were down to the rivet @ 20k miles, fronts are still like new). hey Jason, since you've had to replace a caliper, what size is the allen bolt that holds it on?

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found a product review for the rotors tested on an off-road vehicle and they talk about the mud issue:

http://www.off-road.com/isuzu/womb_brakes.html

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
theres a shop by me that does this for about $20 a rotor. it sounds like a good investment.

·
Banned
4,537 Posts
Hawi:

they drill'em for 20 bucks / rotor?

Will they do any rotor I bring to them (assuming it is in good shape)?

I'm pretty sure any machine shop could do it, but would rather do it with someone who has experience.

·
Registered
962 Posts
On 2002-03-17 10:21, shawn bentley wrote:
i had gotten a brand new set off ebay a while back for $50 delivered. hell even a std. rotor from pepboys was $65 for one. but i havent put them on yet. in the next couple of weeks ill be tearing apart the truck suspension to paint it and the frame cobalt blue metallic and will install them after painting is done. ive had to replace my back brakes(they were down to the rivet @ 20k miles, fronts are still like new). hey Jason, since you've had to replace a caliper, what size is the allen bolt that holds it on?

3/8"

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I would look into teh powerslot rotors, have heard good things about them on other vehciles.

http://www.powerslot.com/

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
ive got drilled stillen rotors and it makes a huge difference, just make sure you get some good high friction pads to make up for the loss of surface area in the pad.

you cannot use stock pads anymore or your truck will not stop!!

trust me i had to do it for about 10 miles on the sub and i almost dies about 10 times

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
boy talk about cobwebs.

the place that does it is in fullerton/anaheim area and as far as i know they do it for $20 a rotor. its a family shop run by the parents of a girl that worked for my parents. havent actually talked to them about it though.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I have a set of Powerslot Slotted rotors. And they worked great, until I went mudding for the first time after I put them on. And they are starting to wear pretty quick. It sucks.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I just put in a set of Performance Friction Carbon Metallic pads. No need for extra braking. Almost too good. With the dual-piston calipers we '00+s are blessed with, I can do nice threshold braking, with 35" MTRs.

$40 for a set of pads, and they have THICK material on them. They should last a decent while, but will dust pretty good from what others have said.

Cold, they are a bit grabby, but once warmed up they modulate better. Definitely good pads. I currently do see the need to run cross-drilled rotors. My truck more than stops well enough with these pads.

·
Banned
4,537 Posts
On 2003-01-08 13:20, HaWiiLuVeR wrote:
the place that does it is in fullerton/anaheim area

Got a name?

Also - any suggestions for some AGGRESSIVE metallic pads ?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Hawk, Performance Friction.

Hawk are amazing, if you can get them. Performance Friction's Z-Rated are next, then the normal Carbon Metallic.

I'm running the Carbon Metallic and they stop the truck MUCH better than the stock pads or the Raybestos PGPlus pads I previously had.

They take getting used to, though. They brake hard and fast, so you end up jerking the truck until you get a softer foot for putting them on. But if you need to stop NOW, just keep digging into the pedal, and they'll bring you down to a stop FAST.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
http://www.raceshopper.com/hawk_brake.shtml
http://www.raceshopper.com/hawk_brake_compounds.shtml

http://www.raceshopper.com/performance_friction_brake_pads.shtml
http://www.raceshopper.com/performance_friction_compounds.shtml

Just don't get any racing pad compounds, you'll never heat them up enough in daily driving to be able to stop at all. They need to be hot to work, and then once they are, they'll tear your rotors apart...

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
im planning on getting some kevlar pads and slotted rotors from egr for the front. thats what i have in the back. they are supposed to be low dust, and very very good wear. like almost the lifetime of the truck if im remembering correctly. dont quote me on it though.

from egr(<!-- BBCode u1 Start -->http://earthroamer.com/egr/" TARGET="_blank<!-- BBCode u1 End -->):
Pads & Shoes
Special Carbon Kevlar integrally molded Disc Pads and Segmented Brake Shoes. The latest technology now allows us to provide segmented Pads and Shoes! Heat cured to remove air pockets from the compressed friction material to eliminate brake noise and provide unsurpassed heat transfer. Utilizing Carbon Kevlar technology, the fiber strands in conjunction with metal particles combine to absorb vibration, a leading cause of brake noise. Allowing faster heat dissipation, a major cause of warped and stress cracked rotors. Quicker heat dissipation means less fade and less pedal pressure, which in turns results in less pad and rotor wear. The dynamic coefficient actually grips better as the temperature goes up. Our Carbon Kevlar pads and shoes provide unequaled stopping distances for heavy loads and high heat applications. And are the ultimate for heavy towing and load requirements. Available for most all vehicles and trailers as well.

the backs been good, so im gonna match the front soon. im getting little heat cracks all over my front rotors.

·
Registered
395 Posts
On 2003-01-08 14:24, woody wrote:
Hawk, Performance Friction.

Hawk are amazing, if you can get them. Performance Friction's Z-Rated are next, then the normal Carbon Metallic.

I'm running the Carbon Metallic and they stop the truck MUCH better than the stock pads or the Raybestos PGPlus pads I previously had.

They take getting used to, though. They brake hard and fast, so you end up jerking the truck until you get a softer foot for putting them on. But if you need to stop NOW, just keep digging into the pedal, and they'll bring you down to a stop FAST.

I had some of the p-friction pads on my old truck. Along with that new lines, dot4 fluid, good rear shoes, and keeping the drums adjusted up, I had to re-adjust my brakelight switch because I could start slowing down for a light before the brakelights came on and sit at the light with no brakelights too!

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
well since i posted last time on this topic, i had installed my cross drilled/slotted rotors, with the P.F. pads, made a world of difference in stopping. i havent gotten it really muddy, but i also wash my truck alot also, so as far as them getting gunked and screwing things up, i dunno. are the '00 and up dual piston calipers useable on a '99?

·
Banned
4,537 Posts
On 2003-01-08 15:00, HaWiiLuVeR wrote:
im getting little heat cracks all over my front rotors.

I got a grip of those. Is that caused by soft brakes? I'm running low dust organic now, but the braking power absolutely sucks (at freeway have to slam the pedal and feel the truck "roll" like its on ice if i want to come to a sudden complete stop. Really sucks.).

going to metallic would fix that? I'm thinking for a decent solution I could just surfact them every 40,000 miles or at brake change.. should work too, but if there's a solution that doesn't require surfacing, then i'm all ears. :D:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts