·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to decide between two crafstmen air compressors...It is between the

---2 stage pro. 25 gal 6hp 6.8 scfm
and the

--single stage 33 gal 6hp 6.4 scfm

I am curious if you guys have had any experience with these. I am leaning toward the pro series, because I think it will last longer and be a little quieter.

Are the 2 stages that much quieter and are they really that much better. If not then I will go the other way because it is a better deal. Thanks guys...

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
I have the pro one. I'd go with the 2 stage. It'll keep up better when you are trying to run high volume tools like sanders or die grinders

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
I have the 30 gallon one.. just like the 33gallon but the newer ones are 33gal!!!... anyway.. .love it.... wouldnt mind a pro one though.. but this one does the job.... the tools that come with it suck.. but better than none!!! :rotfl:

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I dunno what you mean by 2 stage and single stage (I forgot a lot about compressors). But I'm not a big fan of those oil free compressors where the pump is connected right to the motor. I've used a few of them and they all seem to have trouble keeping up with high volume tools and are noisey as hell. I have an ollllllld 33 gallon tank with a 2 cylinder compressor that I got for free about 8 years ago, threw a 3 horsepower motor on that my neighbor got me, and wired it all up with a pressure switch from Grainger. It works great, fills up to 120 PSI real quick and it gives pretty good volume. Probably be better if I didn't have to stretch 75 feet of hose from my basement to my garage. I deffinetely reccomend a compressor with a seperate motor and belt driven pump.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys I think you just sealed the deal. I think I will go with the pro. If anybody has any other comments let me know...... Thanks

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
dad has got the pro. it will keep up with any air tool we need to use.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is good to hear. How are they holding up. I have heard that those oil free ones tend to burn up motors more often.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I have the horizontal 33 gal one. The only serious air tools I've ever run off it have been impacts and a needle gun. Haven't had any problems at all, but it is a pretty loud mofo though.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got the pro series one...This bad boy kicks a**. I can run that sucker in the garage and I cant even hear it in the house. Pumps up fast ant it is going to get its workout this weekend...Thanks guys for the help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've got the 30 gal vertical tank one. It's loud as hell and will keep up with 95% of my tools. It shows it's limits when I break out the high speed sander, and REALLY sucks with the sand blaster.

Otherwise, I live just fine with it by keeping it off of any shared walls with living spaces and since I live in AZ, it gets it's own shop fan blowing over it during long jobs in the summer months.
My .02,
Mike

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have 2 compressors
garage compressor is a Crafstman Pro 60 gal 7hp

portable is a 25gal (not sure) 1.5hp which I use to run my nail guns

buy the biggest compressor you can afford. you will find a ton of uses for it

1 - 12 of 12 Posts