Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been smelling what I thought was burnt oil/gas and had been noticing some smoke latey. Was checking spark plugs for fouling and stuff and come to find out today that my driver side exhuast manifold is cracked. You can just see the crack in these images.

Now I need to compare the cost of replacement manifolds versus some Summit painted headers.

Oh yeah, and I need to get smogged by the end of next month...and my cat is rattling again!

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
that happened to my 94 dakota... Never did fix it, cat got replaced and then the next year they dropped the need for emission testing in minnesota, so that was a waist of 250 bucks! :(: Oh well, I sold the truck as is.

Wow, it cracked in the exact same spot on my dakota!

·
Registered
275 Posts
i have a set off my 96 318 if you need them let me know. just pay shiping

·
Registered
213 Posts
Well if the 97 is anything like the 96 my cat was a 1 piece cat and y-pipe from dodge. How many miles do you have on it cause the cat has a 8 year or 80k waranty. I had mine done with 68k on the truck. That is the federal emissions warranty. It should be stated in your owners mannual. I don't think the manifold will be covered but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Mine cat was replaced after 50K I think dodge had a recall on some of the 99's.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Hey Jason you have a dual exhaust right? Do they stick the sniffer in both pipes and measure the hydrocarbons seprately or comnbined?

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Red: thanks for the offer. I will check around locally for some or just order some headers :): and let you know.

Tweaked and Big: I am on my 3rd cat already. Original went out at 90k, the replacement failed under its warranty (the catalyst broke after only a few miles) and now this one is rattling.

Outlaw: I have single in dual out, so it does not matter which tailpipe they use, it all comes from the same mixed source. I asked the smog guy when I was having the wifes Neon checked last year.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Jason,

If you go with headers, get them Jet-Hot coated. Some of the DiRT guys with headers had problems with melting plug-wires and harnesses due to the amount of exhaust heat that comes through the thin walls of the headers.

The ceramic coatings keep the under-hood temps down, and also reduce the likely-hood of you burning yourself on a hot manifold...

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
On 2002-03-04 16:53, woody wrote:
Jason,

If you go with headers, get them Jet-Hot coated. Some of the DiRT guys with headers had problems with melting plug-wires and harnesses due to the amount of exhaust heat that comes through the thin walls of the headers.

The ceramic coatings keep the under-hood temps down, and also reduce the likely-hood of you burning yourself on a hot manifold...

i had a problem with a burnt wire(it was like an inch away from the header)i picked up a set of cheapo wire loom set by Mr.Gasket. it gets bolted down with the valve cover bolts, inturn pulling the wires over the top of the valve covers and not close to the headers.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
my 96 ram has busted 2 cat's so far, but the third one is holding up preaty good. if you are going with headers, i would go with the jba's or a simmiler design. they have a 3/8" flange, and i have been running the same gasket for over a year now. i have not had any trouble with the bolts backing out

1 - 10 of 10 Posts