Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone seen or own a 78' power wagon 4 speed , straight 6 , 4wd, with a white roof and wheels ,with a black body. I own one ,but i haven't seen another like it ANYWERE.

·
Registered
5,783 Posts
i am sure some one else has got one somewhere

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my dad wants to restore it , but i think restoring such a good rig is stupid, we'd be afraid to take it off the pavement ,then it's no better than any other yuppie 4x4 ,no offense yuppies.

·
Registered
5,783 Posts
i am restoring my 79 td, and i will probably have 15-25 k into it ..... and i plan to not only drive it on the road put to wheel it...

·
Registered
100 Posts
I got my D60F from a '78 Power Wagon. :rotfl:

Seriously though, does the truck have special sentimental value or something?

If restored, it would not command the same prices as a fully restored V8 truck with all the options. That is, if you were wanting to sell.

I don't understand why you would want to restore without some sort of personal attachment.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
my dad worked for the corps from the early 70's to about a year ago and he remembers these trucks being used by the rangers. my old boss gave the power wagon to me(he used it to haul hay bails around a pasture) with no title then i traded it to my dad to buy a motor for my car, he doesnt want me to totally restore it, but he still wants it in fairly decent condition ,which means power steering pump and gearbox ,front driveshaft, alignment, thermostat, alternator, which isnt a great deal ,but the body is beat up and i think the frame maybe bent,i can see how one side of the bed is lower than the other next to the cab by an inch or so ,it may be caused by something wrong with the rear suspension. its a terrific truck i don't have a problem with power ,but i still wouldnt mind puttin in a 318. With the front drive shaft out in 2WD (its all time 4wd) the thing is totally useless the transfer case jumps out of any range. any thoughts on the frame ,suspension, transfer case would be helpful.

·
Registered
5,320 Posts
On 2005-12-23 00:16, moparmatt wrote:
any thoughts on the frame ,suspension, transfer case would be helpful.

The transfercase (NP203) is most likely worn out...might check the fluid and make sure it has 10w30 motor oil in it...

Most likely the frame is fine and the bed support is mangled or you got a broken spring.

I have a title for a 74 PW if you are interested.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts