Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have to add about 20oz of coolant water mix about every month sometimes a month and a half, i drive a 98 ram quad cab 4x4,but i was wondering why this is ...do i have a problem do i need to get it checked out or what?.....thanx

·
Registered
27 Posts
On 2002-01-10 22:48, Gonzo wrote:
i have to add about 20oz of coolant water mix about every month sometimes a month and a half, i drive a 98 ram quad cab 4x4,but i was wondering why this is ...do i have a problem do i need to get it checked out or what?.....thanx

The first thing I would check, would be the radiator cap, it might not be holding the pressure. It should open only enough for the coolant to go into the overflow reservior. Next look for cracks in the overflow hose and canister. Water maybe going in and leaking out from there.
Check your dipstick for water in the engine oil, and hope you don't have a leak in a gasket or crack somewhere in the engine.
If you have an automatic, check the tranny dipstick for excessively high ATF, or Pepto-Bismo in the tranny. Hope it's not going into the engine or tranny
Ed

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Also check the t-stat housing for leaks. You'll need to nearly climb up on top of the engine and look straight down onto the housing to see if anything is leaking out of there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts