Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a little input from the people with big tires and serious lifts. If you have 35" or bigger tires with 5" or more of lift, does it make it impossible to drive? Does it feel top heavy like it is about to tip over when you make a pretty sharp turn? Is it impossible to keep on the road? Does the acceleration totally suck? How about wear on the truck....you always hear about how there is so much more stress on the drivetrain of the truck when it is lifted with big tires. So...how is the maintainance on the tall rigs? Is it absolutely necisary to swap the stock gears for lower gears to go to some 35"+ tires?

The reason im asking all of this is because i am about to be old enough to get my first truck. My dad will buy it for me (i'm thinking and hoping it will be a late ninties 1500 ram 4x4) but he (a mechanic) will not let me lift it more than about 3" or put bigger tires than about 33" on it for all of the reasons i have listed above. So....i just wanted to get some opinions from people who actually drive tall trucks with big tires to see how much lift i really want. I love the look and potential offroading ability of a a truck with aalot of lift and huge tires but it would defeat the purpose of having a truck for me if i couldnt hardly drive it or it broke daily.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I personally don't have one, but I drive my friends truck. A F-350 with a 12" lift, and a set of 40" tires, and as sad as the truth may sound, its true. It does rip appart the truck, and deteriorate the drivability. If you are intended to go off-roading, then it is a must, but if you are mainly doing street driving, then don't do it.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
When I lifted my truck 3", my truck actually become MORE stable, especially in panicy situations. The heavy-duty shocks keep the truck under a lot of control.

I have my truck lifted 3", with 35" tires, and I drive daily on a very twisty/hilly mountain road that often has crap visibility. I have no problem going 65 through the more open areas, and 35-40 or even 45-50 through the turns.

No matter what you've done to it (or left it stock), in a panic-stop you really won't be able to turn, unless you've got 4wheel ABS, and then it's dicey.

At 5" of lift, there won't be TOO much driveline stress, so long as you compensate correctly with larger gears in the differential. Moving up to 4.56:1 gears will greatly increase the life of the engine, transmission, t-case, and drive-shafts.

Also, how you wheel, and how you take care of the truck will have a big effect as well.

I tend to wheel hard, or at least put my truck into some VERY stressfull situations on the front suspension. As a result I've broken an axle-shaft (my own stupidity there), needed to replace the track-bar a few times, and currently need to replace either my steering-box or my steering intermediate shaft.

Frankly, Dodge steering components suck. If you're going to run large (35" or larger) tires, you'll need to think about upgrading this pieces as they fail. I view it as finding factory weaknesses, and fixing them.

One thing I will mention is that worn steering components can be very dangerous. Likely to have loose steering, no feedback, and it may want to have it's own mind now and then.

If you really want a bullet-proof truck, then go with a 2500 with the 5.9L V8. The axles are much beefier, but the steering is still the same. You'll get a Dana60 up front, and a Dana70 in the rear, instead of the Dana44 and Chrysler 9.25 on the 1500s. With those size axles you can run 35-spline axle-shafts, and not worry at all about breakage.

By sticking with the V8, and not opting for the V10 or Diesel you'll get the HD aspect of the 2500, but without the V10s crap mileage, and the weight/maintenance/cost of the Cummins Diesel. The Diesel is a great engine, but not for everyone. It weighs a lot more, smells funny, and tends to shred automatic transmissions...

Also, some of the later 2500s have 4-wheel disc brakes.

If I were to do it over again, I'd have a 2500 Diesel (manual tranny), extended cab short-box. I love my truck, but I'd rather have the torquier engine that gets better mileage, and a manual tranny.

Good luck with your dad.

And if all else fails, say you want a 400hp trans am. That will make them reconsider not letting you lift the truck... :):

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I too had problems with my dad letting me lift my 2500 dodge. I find mine to be much more stable now because of the larger stiffer springs/shocks. My truck actually rides better because the stock springs were too soft, and my truck would bottom out all the time due to the heavy front end. I have 35's on my truck and it's drives great. Anything more might be unstable, but I can drive it darn near the same way I could without the lift.

Nick.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
I might be selling my 2000 Ram... but I dont know yet. http://www.RamVenom.d2g.com I am currently trying to get some problems with it fixed under warrenty then I might get rid of it... dont get me wrong, I love the truck, but its just been a pain... not a great way to sell ya the thing, but I am honest. Your dad being a mechanic and all he might be able to solve the issues my dealer just seems to be blind on. Anyway, I take good care of the truck, but I will also say, if you can get a 2500, I would go that route, much beefier suspension and drive train, and if you dont mind a manual, I would go that route also. Your a lucky kid, I have had to buy every vehicle that I have owned with my own money... you have a very generous dad!

·
Banned
1,533 Posts
I love the way my truck rides after my 2.5" lift (on 2500=4.5" lift on 1500) and 35 inch tires. I have the diesel springs, they bounce a lot on concrete and thats my only complaint :):

Too bad your dad won't let you lift it, my dad asked what the hell I did...I told him it was to smoothen out the ride and make it so that he couldn't get in :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
45 Posts
I HAVE A 6"SUPER LIFT ON MY 93 CHEVY CREW CAB LONG BED WITH 33" TIRES.MY MILEAGE SUCKS ANYWAY 10 M.P.G. I BOUGHT THE TRUCK 3 YEARS AGO AND IT CAME WITH 35" TIRES THAT WERE SHOT.THEY ALSO RUBBED A LOT WHEN OFF ROADDING. THATS WHY I DROPPED DOWN TO 33"BIG O BIG FOOT. NOW THE TRUCK ALSO CAME WITH 12.5X16.5 RIMS SO THE WIDER RIM HELPS TOO. ALIGNEMENTS ARE A MUST AND ON A CONSTANT BASIS. ROTATING HELPS REDUCE OVER USE OF FRONT TIRES. BEST OF [email protected]

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Joe,

I run 35" MT/R's with 5" of Skyjacker lift and my truck handles better than ever, both on and off the road! :bigthumb: I love being up high and Im already thinking of going higher! I would never go back to stock! :D: My advice to you if you plan on lifting...go big and the way you want it...don't settle for less...you'll only end up regretting that you didn't go higher! Good luck! :D:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Joe,
I agree with tunis. Go big, but, if your dad doesn't want you to lift it the way you want, just wait. The last thing you probably want to hear is wait but its not worth buying two lifts if your hearts set on BIG!! Theres nothing wrong with leaving the truck stock for a few months until you and your dad see eye to eye. take him to a few wheeling spots and show him how much fun 4 wheeling is. my dad didn't want me to lift my first truck but after the first time we couldn't go where we wanted to go hunting because of ground clearance and traction he agreed with me and I got a lift for christmas. sorry to bore you with my story but dont worry he will come around.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Joe,
I agree with tunis. Go big, but, if your dad doesn't want you to lift it the way you want, just wait. The last thing you probably want to hear is wait but its not worth buying two lifts if your hearts set on BIG!! Theres nothing wrong with leaving the truck stock for a few months until you and your dad see eye to eye. take him to a few wheeling spots and show him how much fun 4 wheeling is. my dad didn't want me to lift my first truck but after the first time we couldn't go where we wanted to go hunting because of ground clearance and traction he agreed with me and I got a lift for christmas. sorry to bore you with my story but dont worry he will come around.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
That is why I kept my truck small !!!!!!
:lol: :lol:
anyway... go 3/4 ton and up.... and if you want a budget... buy a chevy... I picked up a starter, alternator and a SB chevy 350 out of the bubble gum machine yesterday... no seriously like everyone else said above. If you cant have it your way... WAIT .. but that does have some drawbacks also.. here is my example...
I turned 16 (in 1990) my father and I built a chevy 3/4 ton pickup
33" tires rubbed. I couldnt afford a real lift (12" skyjacker with 44's)so I went with a 3" body lift ($80). Worked great but still banged up 1 fender when the tire came up and smashed it. No biggie...
Got married in 1994 (trust me not that bad).
I told the wife I wanna lift the truck... she said we cant afford it.
In 1997 I went to Dallas Tx for 4 months for work training. came back and got a $5G bonus ($3500 after taxes). Thus took the truck and went up with 14" leafs, NEW EVERYTHING UNDER THE TRUCK. Bought a pair of 40x17x16.5 Ground Hawgs on 16.5x12 steel rims used for $400. Now NJ just left a token in my wheeties.... New law means I couldnt put the truck on the road since it was illegal. I was allowed 11 inches over stock... so the truck has sat until now....BUT SHE IS ALIVE.. I found out I gotta get 38's, take the body lift off and she is riding the legal line...

Out of that long list hopefully you gain...
Wait for what you want but dont wait tooooo long......
Hopefully my 1997 project will be on the road this summer.. Used 9C1 police 350 roller cam/lifter motor going in in 2 weeks. Fix little stuff and try and do x-over steering.. cus my steering sucks....

well that was my past 11 years for you... so you can see it isnt that bad to wait...
also my fater is a mechanic....HE used to hoot and holler all the time..... I AM NOT GETTING UNDER THAT DAMN MUDDY TRUCK AGAIN !!!!! as mud falls in his eyes....

·
Registered
464 Posts
hahaha... your truck little ? :): LOL

My truck is little compared to yours :wink:

I've got 6" Skyjacker spring lift, and 35" BFG AT/KO's. The truck at first seemed real tipsy (partly i'm sure because it was my first lifted vehicle, and partly because the suspension hadn't settled yet). But now that its setteled and i've adapted to how it feels and drives the truck seems really stable.

Rule of thumb goes (correct me if i'm wrong here guys)... one inch up one inch out to keep stable.

-Chris

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well thanks for all the info guys....
it seems i shouldnt have too many probles with keepin it stable with the lift and big tires. Most of you guys say to not settle for less than i want and wait till i can get what i want to start lifting it. I really want about 35 inch tires and about 5 inches oflift.

now i still have the problem of my dad who is a mechanic. I could have all the people with lifted trucks in the world tell me they still drive fine and hold up fine and he still wont let me go that big as long as im living with him he says. He has been a mechanic all his life and rebuild many a drivetrain part for some kid who tore up a truck because he lifted it. I guess i see where he is comeing from and i also see that if he doesnt approve of what i drive he cou8ld take it away or not work on it when something goes wrong with it. I tried the asking for a 400hp trans am thing but that didnt help(he had 450hp chevelle as a kid). I still want to go big but i dont think well ever see eye to eye on the issue of lifts and tires.

I think i will just go as big as he will let me go(i am not one to wait forever...if he dont change his mind pretty soon ill just settle for a while). I am just a kid so cost is a major issue as well. I probably couldnt afford that much lift and tire right now anyway(even though i have been saving since 12 or 13). So i think i will just go with about a 3" suspention lift and some 33" tires on 15"/10" wheels. That will be pretty affordable and i wont have to swap my stock gears. It will still be plenty driveable and it will satisfy me for awhile. Also, later on, i can add a body lift, swap to maybee 4:10 or 4:88 gears, and replace the 33's with 35's(ill be able to use the same wheels). And of course im still sort of counting on my dad changing his mind once i actually have the truck and start to modify it. HE just might acctually get into helping me build it(but i doubt it).

Well thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
If you go with a 2500, just go with either the desiel or the V10. stepping up to a heavier truck is gonna get you worse milage anyways. besides, mine and other V10's i have talked to, get better milage than the V8's.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
No way, Hawaii. I cant believe it, my V8 with 4.10 gears on 40" swampers and a heavy foot got 9-13mpg before the plenum gasket went. I imagine someone with a smaller foot and 4.88 gears could get as much as 15 or 16mpg.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts