Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a dell computer well the cd drive wont open acts like its dead when pc is running. Well when i restart it, it will allow me to open close it during start up mode. I also have a burner, it opens and closes when pc is running though. Neither of the two are showing they exist if you go to my computer it doesn't even list the drives being there? anyone got any idea?

thanks!

·
Registered
454 Posts
when you first boot hit what every key to go into setup (cmos) and see what drives the motherboard is locating and then check the boot sequence of the drives.

then you might have to update the drivers for the rom drives windows should be able to find them automatically. and if that doesnt work try the add new hardware in the control panel of windows and click auto detect, that might work.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
the jumpers on the CD-ROM's could be set wrong.
did you just get it?

make sure the one on the end of the IDE cable is set to 'master', and the one hooked into the middle of the cable is set at 'slave'.

·
Registered
206 Posts
do as was suggested and get into the bios to make sure that the drives are being recognized there. if not, double check the jumpers, ide or sata cable as well as the four pin molex connect which provides power (not likely unplugged but could have a break in it). if all that checks out ok let your computer boot into windows then click on the start button, go to my computer and RIGHT click on it, click properties, click the hardware tab at the top, click on the device manager button. then once that new screen opens, click on the + next DVD/CD ROM drives, this will drop down and should show each optical drive that you have hooked up. if they dont show up here or have a red X or an exclamation mark near it then you have a prob. and we'll go from there.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In the properties area its saying the hard disk controler is disabled? Its got a plus next to all the other ones

1 - 5 of 5 Posts