Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about putting a computer chip in my truck and i am wondering if they really do anything? is there any noticable differences? what do you recomend?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Get the Mopar MPC, start paying $$$ to run 92-93 octane, and smile. You just gained a more than noticable HP improvement.

Most happily discussed power improvement you can make, and the install is only like 30 minutes, and they cost ~ $300.

http://www.krcperformance.com/krc_performance_pcm.htm

NOTE: KRC can do some scarily fast trucks... If you have the money.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
If you run a computer module, there are a few things you need to add to benefit from the full potential of the chip:

180 Degree Thermostat
92 Octane Fuel
Air Intake System
Headers
High Flow Catalytic Converter
Cat Back Exhaust System

Running the chip by itself will not give you noticable results. This is what I've heard from most people who run their trucks with an aftermarket performance module/chip. :D:

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I talked to somebody that had MPC, they said it threw a check engine light that wouldnt go out without a new vin# or something plugged into the computer, any truth to this??

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
That would be the truth. Dodge pulls this neat little trick. The PCM needs to have the VIN in it, in order to talk correctly to the dash unit, where the odometer is.

However, if you order from KRC, they will flash in the VIN for you before shipping (extra $25).

Another problem that KRC _might_ be able to work around is the right size tire issue. The dealers can't put larger than a 31 inch tire into the PCM. However, KRC may be able to tell the PCM that it's getting speed inputs from a ring-gear attached to 35" tires.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the help everyone i had no clue where to even start looking

·
Registered
502 Posts
sportram,
I had a Stage II Jet Performance chip in my truck and didnt really notice a difference.
Personally I think that there is other issues with my truck so the chip couldnt work the way it should.

If you can get one for your truck I would get the Mopar computer. They never offered one for my truck so I had to find other options.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Bill, talk to Marty at KRC. For $400, they will get you a MPC that's been slightly re-programmed to work in your truck. They have someone that custom programs the chips for them.

I know someone in CT with a 2000 4x4 (also no MPC that I know of), and he's now running a 408 (360 + 4" stoker crank), rather not-mild cam, Mopar M1 2bbl intake, custom throttle-body, with relatively low compression, and pushing well over 300hp, and uses a custom chip from them.

He had a blower on it, but decided he didn't need THAT much engine (was near 400 with the blower).

Correction, the truck also has a Roe Air/Fuel controller in it, and the home-page is at:

http://www.moparforme.com/
Reunel Front Bumper

·
Registered
502 Posts
Thanks for the info. I am actually getting rid of my 01 and getting an 02 diesel. Now if they do diesel stuff as well that would be cool.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Does anyone know how to reset the PCM, oh by the way where the hell is it? the guy on the phone from that KPC Performance website said it was under where the jet chip hooks up.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
On 2002-01-23 00:12, woody wrote:
That would be the truth. Dodge pulls this neat little trick. The PCM needs to have the VIN in it, in order to talk correctly to the dash unit, where the odometer is.

However, if you order from KRC, they will flash in the VIN for you before shipping (extra $25).

Another problem that KRC _might_ be able to work around is the right size tire issue. The dealers can't put larger than a 31 inch tire into the PCM. However, KRC may be able to tell the PCM that it's getting speed inputs from a ring-gear attached to 35" tires.

the trucks come with tires bigger than 31". ive been told the pinion factor can be changed to accomidate a 36" tire.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
The largest that the DEALER can flash into the tire (by federal law, thanks EPA), is 265/75R16 or R17, basically, the largest tire that shipped from the factory for that year.

They aren't allowed to flash it for 35 or 36" tires...

For absolutely NO good reason.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
On 2002-01-23 19:25, Biginuf wrote:
Does anyone know how to reset the PCM, oh by the way where the hell is it? the guy on the phone from that KPC Performance website said it was under where the jet chip hooks up.

To reset the PCM, disconnect your negative battery cable for about 15 minutes, then reconnect and drive off.

The PCM is on passenger fender, near the firewall.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
On 2002-01-23 17:02, Bill_L wrote:
Thanks for the info. I am actually getting rid of my 01 and getting an 02 diesel. Now if they do diesel stuff as well that would be cool.

They don't do diesel, but these do:

http://www.tsperformanceproducts.com/dodge_fuel.asp

The Power Edge Comp Box is $800, and nearly doubles the output of the engine... I know of people over 800lb-ft, and looking at going to 1000. Don't both with the automatic at those torque levels, though. The engine will destroy it. But the NV4500 and the NV5600 5- and 6-speed (respectively) manual trannies can take it.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
On 2002-01-23 19:48, woody wrote:
The largest that the DEALER can flash into the tire (by federal law, thanks EPA), is 265/75R16 or R17, basically, the largest tire that shipped from the factory for that year.

They aren't allowed to flash it for 35 or 36" tires...

For absolutely NO good reason.

tell midlothian dodge in midlothian, illinois that then. they told me they would do that for $80.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Woody,

Thanks for the info. I have been to their site many times. I have been looking at all the diesel toys.
I am most likely going to get gauges, exhaust and a poweredge EZ. Nothing fancey.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Chips are a gamble, depending on the application they might work and might not. I have a mopar performance computer and it made a huge diffrerence, its from mopar so no worries there.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
If anyone wants a Mopar Comp. my friend has one available, he used it shortly then put the Ken Bell Supercharger on it, he couldnt use the chip with the supercharger, Ill put you in direct contact with him, he is in PA. he is asking 250 for the chip, he said any dealer can program the vin for you. Let me know and ill email you his info.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I have email my friend and asked what year trucks it will work on, and if it will work on the 318 also.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts