Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone running one of those chip devices. how does it work and does it really work. need sometihng for the gas mileage. better investment... chip or truspeed

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
My jet chip does nice, id say about 15-20 hp. I run 93 with it too and I need to get around to installing my 160 degree thermostat.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Biginuf, you might want to check out the tech section on speedtweaks.com before putting in the 160 thermostat, according to that page the 160 stat will trip your check engine light. They recommend the 180 stat.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
he is right about the 160 degree stat. i do not know about the light, but it will not cool as well with a thermastat that is set that low.
i run the mopar computer, and from what i can tell, the more you add, the more results you will see. do not read the box, plug it in and think you just gained 30 hp and 5 mpg. you will have to do a cuople of the bolt ons to see a diffrance

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I have a 182 thermostat in there now, it runs the same temp as before. Ill try the 160, worst case, i have to put in a 170 or 175.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have run the 160 Stat on my 1996 Ram 5.9 V8 with the Mopar PCM and haven't had any problems just a cooler running engine - no warning light flashing at any time.

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
You really dont wanna be running that low. the engine is most efficient at 210 degrees. i know you wouldnt feel comfortable running at that temp. if you have a problem with the cooling, get a radiator from a 2500 with a V10. my radiator is HUGE. a 180 thermostat would be the best to run. you could also try the stuff called water wetter by redline i think. it seems to work pretty well.

·
Registered
8,235 Posts

<!-- BBCode u2 Start -->http://www.carcarepros.com/RedlineWatterWetter.html" TARGET="_blank<!-- BBCode u2 End -->

·
Registered
502 Posts
I ran a Jet Stage II chip in my 01 before I got rid of it.
I still have the chip. I think it fits 97-01 with the 5.2 or the 5.9
It recommended a 180 thermostat which worked just fine.

I had headers and other thigns with it as well so it is hard for me to say what the chip did on its own.

I still have the headers too.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
The Jet StageII chip for a 5.9/360 won't work with a 5.2/318.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Biginuf,

The info on their site may be wrong but Jet lists the same chip from 96-01 for the 5.2 and the 5.9 auto or stick on either.

Bill

1 - 13 of 13 Posts