Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of writing my xmas list and I want to replace my front door speakers and tweeters. I am currently running the factory speakers with a JVC headunit, mtx 425 amp and 2 jl 10in subs. My system is really lacking in the vocal and highs section and is overpowered by the base. I have been looking into a component set to replace the 6x9s in the doors as well the the tweeters in the pillars. I think there is and adapter to replace the 6x9s but i dont' know what speakers to ask for 5.25 or 6.5s? Also what brand? I am looking hard at mb quarts pse, anybody running these and how to they stack up? Any other suggestions for a compent setwould be great.

Finally, what about the factory amp is that going to interfer with the crossovers or anything?

thanks,

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
You can get adapters to put 6.5s or 5.25s in the doors. I'd get 6.5s though. I dunno if it's the same on a '98, but on my 2000 the factory amps are build into the speakers, so you'd have to find a way to wire the amp to your new crossovers, or just rewire the truck and run it off the head unit (better option) or get a 4 channel amp. As far as brand, how much do you want to spend? I was never a fan of how MB Quart stuff sounds.

·
Registered
226 Posts
If you put components in the doors, it would be best to use an aftermarket amp. If you really want those mids and highs to SCREAM, I would definitely go with a set of focal kevlar components, whith those, you would prolly want about a 600 watt amp maybe more. I swear by the Focal's

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I looking to spend $250 or under for them I am also considering some bostons, I have had good expierence with them. Will 6.5s magnet hit anything in the door panel, I heard with 6x9 you have to worry about how deep the speakers sit.

·
Registered
5,579 Posts
Ive got a set of kicker resolutions that I really like, although I would like to step up to something nicer (focal, dynaudio) you can get 6.5 resolutions off ebay for under 200

·
Registered
226 Posts
You would have to have a pretty deep speaker for it to hit, I've installed prolly 8 sets in dodge trucks and never had a problem. If you have some freak speaker that does hit, it is extremely easy to just space it out some.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Yeah there is plenty of room in that door, and there's a little room to bump the speaker out if need be. I'd probably go with Kicker RS or SS series speakers. I was skeptical at first, but when I first heard kicker componants when we started selling them, they sound awesome. Focal stuff is good to but the speakers he mentioned are like $400+

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have Kicker RS's in my front panels and they BARELY fit! I probably have a hair width of space between the back of the magnet & the window. AND, the door panel bulges out. I had a bit of a hard time getting the panel snugged back down because of it. So, unless you're cutting out your door panels, I'd pay attention to the speaker depth & mounting height.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So 6.5inchers will fit with an adapter plate or should I go with 5.25s to be safe? Where are you guys mounting your crossovers?

·
Registered
783 Posts
My brother bought the Kicker 6.5 components for his doors and the are really nice. Sound great too. I have a set of Alpine type-S 6x9s in my doors and am very satisfied with them.

·
Registered
5,579 Posts
I had my 5.25s in Qforms kickpanels

1 - 11 of 11 Posts