Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the last month and a half as the weather has gotten a little colder I have started to hear a growling sound on my truck.
The sound happens only in reverse when backing out of parking spaces. I am not sure but I think it does get a little louder if I turn the wheels while backing up.
Once in a while I will also hear this sound only not as loud when I leave work at night but I think it all depends on how cold it was during the day.

Any thoughts on this one? I only have 17k on my truck. Thats less than 1k a month since I got it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
My dads 99 ramwith 30k on it does the exact same thing in reverse, and has no idea what it is, if you find out let me know

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the info. Is there a site where you can look up the TSB's for the Ram's?
If this is a dealer thing are they going to hassle me since I have Amsoil and a shiftkit in my trans?

·
Registered
343 Posts
My Ram has the same problem, let me know if anyone figures out where to find the TSB or any other info on the problem
thanks

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I found this info on another site but it doesn't tell me much.

http://www.alldata.com/TSB/17/011778EC.html

This is specific info for the 01. They have data on all years.

·
Registered
923 Posts
For once I can tell you that I know what I'm talking about! My truck did this at 40,000, my buddy's 98 started at 45,000, and my other friends 99 did it at 35,000. All are 1/2 ton 4x4's. They only did it on cold mornings backing out while the engine was still cold, right?! Change your tranny fluid and filter just like it says in truck tech. I did it to mine and it stopped instantly, I did it to the 98, and it stopped instantly. Traded the 99 in b/f I got to it. The tranny fluid is broken down and lost its lubricating capacity. When the torque converter and fluid are cold they don't slide as well any more and it groans b/c it is sliding and grabbing partially. When the fluid or tranny gets warm it flows and lubes better so no noise. Promise.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ruffram,

Sounds great but maybe 2000 miles ago I had my shift kit installed. A new filter was installed and all of the normal fuild was drained and Amsoil was put in. One of the cooler lines was disconnected in the process so that all the normal fuild could be pumped out of the converter and the Amsoil sucked in.

If it was in the trans why would it only do this in reverse and not drive?

Jet Stage II chip
Custom FlowMaster Exhaust
Mopar Performance Roller Rockers
TransGo Shift kit w/ Amsoil Synthetic ATF
Monster Stereo System

·
Registered
923 Posts
Bill I don't know and once again I look stupid on the Internet. That synthetic fluid I know nothing about. You might ask the people who put in your shift kit and ask them what they think. As for why it does it only in reverse, I don't know that either, but I asked the same question before I did mine and no one knew why only in reverse. It worked for both of the trucks that I did. Sorry

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will have to toy with it a little more then maybe take it to Dodge and let them deal with it.
I am not positive but it almost sounded like it was in the front axle somewhere. I will have to see if turning the wheels while backing up makes it louder or not.

·
Registered
807 Posts
so if you get this problem and you dont do anything about it do you think it will damage the trans. mine is starting to slip between 1st and 2nd and i was hoping it would go before the warranty runs up.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hell if it is starting to slip I would go in and make them replace the trans now. Why wait till it gets any worse.

If I have time I am going to call a local dealer today about the TSB's and the safety recalls that I saw listed to see what all they will fix and when.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well its confirmed the fluid issue appears to be what is causing the growling.

I was backing up down part of my street this morning and it was growling loud.. I put it into neutral and coast part of the way and had no sound.
I guess I need to call the dealer about it.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If anyone is interested I talked to a Dodge dealer about this today and they are willing to work on the problem but said that it may not go away completely.
After that I called TransGo and talked to them about the issue. They told me that most Dodge transmissions have had issues like this since the 70's and that if your trans is working ok to just ignore the issue since it is non damaging. I guess they have seen several cases of people taking they vehical to Dodge for this issue and having it not work as well as before.

I am still going to take my truck in next week for some TSB and other issues but I am going to make it clear that they are not to touch my trans since it has AmsOil in it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts