Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i finally got my dodge but before i do anything to it i have a question. when driving slow and turning there is a clunking coming from the front. my dad thinks its a caliper but im not sure. it doesnt happen while driving at normal speeds just around 10-15 mile per hour or less. help

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Check the u-joints, the shocks, and most importantly, check for a loose lug-nut.

A loose lug-nut will cluck when driving slow, but may not be heard when driving fast.

Very scary to find a loose lugnut when your 50 miles from home, and realize you probalby had to drive at least that far (at 80mph) with a loose lugnut or two (or 3...).

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Yea i would check the lugnuts i had that problem when i was doing like 10 mph i heard a clunk and when i was on the highway it was gone.come to find out 3 of my lugnuts were loose.

·
Registered
362 Posts
WEll damn it! I thought we were singing a song in here. I saw clunk clunk clunk and I though about " up on the roof top clunk clunk clunk here come good old...saint nick" you know the song... oh well, check your u-joints and you lefthand joints if its neither one of those then check the lug nuts, I would say the lug nuts would do it all the time and not just at certain speeds.

·
Registered
962 Posts
When you are going faster the lugnuts would be pushed to the outside of the wheel not making any noise. This is due to the apparent centrigufal "force" which is not really a force at all but the intention of a particle in motion to stay on its path tangent to the rotating body. Kinda like going through a tight curve in a porsche. Or doing muddy donuts in a nice white dodge. or...

·
Registered
340 Posts
Thanks for the laugh this morning Uncle Mark.. I needed it..

By any chance, for what ever reason, do you know if there is a locker in the front? Just a thought. Sometimes the make noise when cornering..

Later DDGETHS

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
Does the truck has any lift?, because depending on the lift, it may have some lugnuts that could be loose.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
no lift. yet. i dont think it has a locker up front. it has the diff but thats it. we havent done anything to it yet. also i seen dick cepek had a 6 inch suspension lift kit. is it any good?

·
Registered
65 Posts
i had a problem like this before, stop your truck and turn the wheel from lock to lock and see if it clunks, if it does ill find out the name of the bar that i tightened and that was my problem

·
Registered
362 Posts
Mine has two turn tables and a micro phone up front!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanx for the info. im going to wait till morning to check since its kinda dark out but again thanx for all the helpful info:-D .

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i checked the panhard bar/ track bar and that was not the case i checked the lug nuts and they were tight. could there ba any thing else?

·
Registered
8,237 Posts
tie rods or ball joints. put the front end in the air, on jack stands. grab the top and bottom of the tire, and try to rock it. if it moves a lot then you have a bad ball joint(s). now grab the tire on the left and right (make sure the steering wheel is locked), and rock it. that would indicate bad tie rods. while you do all the rocking, try to watch the ball joints/tie rods.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts