Off Road Vehicles banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
On 2005-11-06 22:14, 2000DAKATAK wrote:
i know you guys have heard of light force lights before. Well we sell those at work and the bright a$$ bulbs for'em we sell clear and amber, i could ship you down some amber light force bulbs. i think they're like 250w bulbs and im not sure but i think they're single element hid bulbs. those bad boys would be about 4 times as bright as your high beams. (the clear ones are anyways.) jsut a thought if you feel like being a smartass.

actually ive never heard of em. do they just replace your headlight bulbs??? heck, i might be up for a set then :rotfl:

·
Registered
5,320 Posts
Actually, if you read the laws...any marker light facing forward is to be amber, any facing the rear of the vehicle need to be red. You cannot have any other color (including colorless, clear) than those...that is FEDERAL law, not state...but that doesn't mean a state won't have additional laws on top of those.

Just because your truck doesn't need them, doesn't mean they can be another color. If they are on your truck, they are required to work...even non-working aftermarket lights like offroad lights could cause you to fail an inspection in Pennsylvania if the mechanic wanted to push it.

And those of you that don't believe me, I was with a buddy who had green running board lights, he got a $200 ticket for those lights not being amber. Another friend got a ticket for having a light (amber) in his rear fenderwell. I had my truck "fail" inspection because one of my aftermarket foglights didn't work...the guy allowed me to change the bulb and he put a sticker on it.

IMO, if I were to run clear lenses, I'd be running the correct colored LEDs behind them...you don't know how much of a hazard you are with clear lenses and bulbs unless you seen it firsthand in heavy traffic...and how the lawmakers look at it is that it confuses people who might mistake you clear turnsignal for something else.

steved

·
Registered
230 Posts
dont you understand? a cops job is to harrass people, not stop crime. sheesh

·
Registered
8,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
On 2005-11-07 13:34, Cudarich wrote:
dont you understand? a cops job is to harrass people, not stop crime. sheesh

Well sometimes it feels that way, but actually there here for other reasons :twak: but i talked to the guy at Recon about the clear cab lights and he is sending me some amber bulbs for mine. he said that the clear bulbs that came in it was for offroad use only :roll: like im suppose to know that when i bought em. But i should have em taken care of in bout a week. But as for the fine of $150 :flipoff: cause it gets dropped if i fix the problem :rotfl:

·
Registered
271 Posts
I would say that if the cab clearence lights are on a drw truck, then they have to be amber colored since they are required by DOT. If it is a SRW truck then they are an option and could be considered an aftermarket light, then they can be clear or amber. No red/purple/blue allowed at all.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Alright, i guess this is my venting session or whatever. But on my way to work tonight, mr nice highway patrolman pulls me over. To make a long story short, get a ticket for having clear turn signal bulbs. So after that, he proceeds to write me another ticket for clear cab lights. Now i understand about the clear corner marker lights needing to be yellow but he said he wasnt sure about the cab lights being clear. he said they should be yellow or at least he thought. but does anybody know where to look to see if they have to be clear or any other color?? Anyways i can get outta the $150 ticket if i change em, in which im sure i will do before i gotta head to court next month. But thats just a pain :rotfl: to change em before court and then again when i get home. :rotfl: alright not bitchin about cops here, just kinda wondering the law on lights in TN. he said he didnt know if they were illegal cause he has never seen a set before. So WTF if he dont know, why should he write a ticket for em?
Was your truck a 2500 or below? If so clear is not legally enforceable due the with width of the vehicle (that is why they are allowed to sell clear running lights.

Trucks that are more than 80-inches wide are mandated to have cab roof lights. The cab lights' purpose is to alert oncoming traffic that an over-sized vehicle is approaching. ... They can serve as a way to let drivers know it may be a good idea to move over to allow a safe amount of room for a truck to pass.

Sec. 547.353. COLOR REQUIREMENTS. (a) A clearance lamp, identification lamp, side marker lamp, or reflector mounted on the front, on the side near the front, or in the center of the vehicle must be or reflect amber.

BUT that only kicks in for 1-ton or vehicles over 80 inches.

SUBCHAPTER F. ADDITIONAL LIGHTING REQUIREMENTS FOR CERTAIN LARGE VEHICLES

Sec. 547.351. APPLICABILITY. The color, mounting, and visibility requirements in this subchapter apply only to equipment on a vehicle described by Section 547.352.

Sec. 547.352. ADDITIONAL LIGHTING EQUIPMENT REQUIREMENTS. In addition to other equipment required by this chapter:
(1) a bus, truck, trailer, or semitrailer that is at least 80 inches wide shall be equipped with:
(A) two clearance lamps on the front, one at each side;
(B) two clearance lamps on the rear, one at each side;
(C) four side marker lamps, one on each side at or near the front and one on each side at or near the rear;
(D) four reflectors, one on each side at or near the front and one on each side at or near the rear; and
(E) hazard lamps that meet the requirements of Section 547.331;

21 - 27 of 27 Posts