Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, i guess this is my venting session or whatever. But on my way to work tonight, mr nice highway patrolman pulls me over. To make a long story short, get a ticket for having clear turn signal bulbs. So after that, he proceeds to write me another ticket for clear cab lights. Now i understand about the clear corner marker lights needing to be yellow but he said he wasnt sure about the cab lights being clear. he said they should be yellow or at least he thought. but does anybody know where to look to see if they have to be clear or any other color?? Anyways i can get outta the $150 ticket if i change em, in which im sure i will do before i gotta head to court next month. But thats just a pain :rotfl: to change em before court and then again when i get home. :rotfl: alright not bitchin about cops here, just kinda wondering the law on lights in TN. he said he didnt know if they were illegal cause he has never seen a set before. So WTF if he dont know, why should he write a ticket for em?

·
Registered
5,783 Posts
you know when you put those in i was wondering if they were leagal or not

G

·
are the bulbs yellow or white?

if they are yellow then they should not have any legal issue, they are not required to be like reflectors or anything so the lense color as long as its not red or blue shouldnt be an issue

·
Registered
8,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On 2005-11-05 19:22, hieneken49 wrote:
if he wrote you a ticket, how can they be legal???

i asked him how were they illegal and he said he didnt know if they were or not, so he just wrote it on there. but the bulbs are clear, not colored at all.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I am a Dallas police officer, so I don't know the laws in Tennessee, but I do know that the fact that he wrote you a ticket without knowing if it is illegal or not, is sorry. I hate to second guess any other cop, but that does not make any sense. My only question is did you possibly give him a reason to be so...um....thorough? As far as the legality goes, they are legal in Texas, so long as they are yellow or clear. No other colors are allowed.

·
Registered
8,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On 2005-11-05 19:45, kubwa_jim wrote:
I am a Dallas police officer, so I don't know the laws in Tennessee, but I do know that the fact that he wrote you a ticket without knowing if it is illegal or not, is sorry. I hate to second guess any other cop, but that does not make any sense. My only question is did you possibly give him a reason to be so...um....thorough? As far as the legality goes, they are legal in Texas, so long as they are yellow or clear. No other colors are allowed.

no i didnt provoke him or anything. i was all kind and such. i just asking him why cab lights were illegal. i mean there clear bulbs, not any other color. he said he wasnt sure but since they werent yellow like all the others he had seen, they were. Is there any way i can find out before i go to court about this. i mean im gonna swap in some yellow bulbs before i go but i wouldlike some proof if they arent. i mean no one else around this area has any that i or any of my friends have seen.

·
Registered
47 Posts
You need to get on-line or get a hard copy of the transportation code for Tenessee. In that, look under auxillary lighting. There should be a section on auxillary fog lights, driving lights, and the legality of what colors are allowed and where. Also, the state has to prove it is illegal, which means the D.A. will have to show where the Code defines what is legal and what is not.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I am sure if you contact recon or whoever makes them that they could back you up to or have somethign you can use for proof. I know streetglow used to had a credit card size ting that said the rules for ground lights and thigns of that nature that cake with there products. This way if you get pulled over you can use it to say hey stop {expletive}ing with me.

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
i dont know about TN, but im a cop in IL and they (cab markers and corner markers aka turn signals) have to be amber and be able to be seen from 300 ft. Clear is fine, as long as they are amber and visible from 300ft where im from.

·
Registered
8,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
On 2005-11-05 22:04, Ten-17 wrote:
i dont know about TN, but im a cop in IL and they (cab markers and corner markers aka turn signals) have to be amber and be able to be seen from 300 ft. Clear is fine, as long as they are amber and visible from 300ft where im from.

I understand the turn signals being yellow, but cab lights are not standard meaning they dont have to be there. they were added after the truck was bought. ive been reading the tennessee code annotated and the laws about lights dont say anything about clear lights, just flahsing lights. i mean ive got all nite to read this stuff, but it just makes me mad when he said he wasnt sure if they were illegal or not but still wrote a ticket for them anyways.
but heres where im readin my stuff if anyone gets bored.

http://198.187.128.12/tennessee/lpext.dll?f=templates&fn=fs-main.htm&2.0

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
is there a law about how many forward facing lights you can have? MABY his theory is that since the cab marker lights are not amber he is counting them as another head light, know what im saying? See in IL you can only have X many forward facing lights, i cant remember off the top of my head, anyway since yours are clear he MIGHT be counting them as forward facing lights insted of amber markers. As for him writing you a ticket and not knowing if its legal or not, he is just thinking A) youll pay it and forget about it or B) youll take it to court, you win or he wins, but he still gets OT for going. If it were me I would plead NOT GUILTY and tell the prosecutor you want a jury trail, show him pics and everything, let him know this is total BS... He wont want to bog his counrt docket with pettty crap like this. On a side note, state cops pick apart crap like this and give other cops a bad name.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
damn thats crappy there ,,but hell just throw in the yellow bulbs in the clear lights and let them be bright as hell :shock: But wasnt your turn signals amber bulbs in the clear housings anyway i cant remember,,Hell id just look up the laws like youve been trying to find and print out where the cab lights are approved,And the casings does not have to be amber in color,You frequent that area where he was at anyway,,i mean hell youve had them for along a$$ time now and hes the first to say anything not like you havent passed any cops before, :rotfl: specially up here :naughty:

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Man that sucks. Not to steal your thread or anything but last Sat. night i got pulled over on the way home from a wedding by a cop who said my headlights weren't adjusted properly b/c they were shinning in his mirror( Him in a cop car me in a 3/4 ton truck) of course they are gonna be in your mirror. He tried to write me a ticket for that. My question is. Is that probabal cause to pull me over? I think he was fishing for something. since he inspected the truck after he pulled me over and gave me a sobritity test. (which i asked if i could bypass and just take the breathalizer) He was rather stunned when i asked that and told me to get back in the truck and leave.

·
Registered
8,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
On 2005-11-06 13:03, Ten-17 wrote:
is there a law about how many forward facing lights you can have? MABY his theory is that since the cab marker lights are not amber he is counting them as another head light, know what im saying? See in IL you can only have X many forward facing lights, i cant remember off the top of my head, anyway since yours are clear he MIGHT be counting them as forward facing lights insted of amber markers. As for him writing you a ticket and not knowing if its legal or not, he is just thinking A) youll pay it and forget about it or B) youll take it to court, you win or he wins, but he still gets OT for going. If it were me I would plead NOT GUILTY and tell the prosecutor you want a jury trail, show him pics and everything, let him know this is total BS... He wont want to bog his counrt docket with pettty crap like this. On a side note, state cops pick apart crap like this and give other cops a bad name.

yea i was readin the nice paper he gave me and it says that if i fix whats wrong, which means replacine with amber bulbs, not the casing i should be alright. im just gonna stop by autozone and get a few. and once courts over, change em back. i really dont have the time or $$$ for court. and from what i can tell about how many lights facing forward, you can have 2 lights such as headlights and another set such as fog lights. but yea i mean ive been stopped by city cops a few times since ive had them on ( almost 2 years) but i guess since he is a state cop, he is just more pickier. heck i just sold my other atv to a city cop and he was checkin out my truck when he came and picked up the atv. so i dunno, i guess i was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Thanks a ton though Ten-17

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
id say cops are looking for people under the influence of alcohol, etc, warrants...

seems they get alot of people around here like that.

works good, specially with those blue led windshield wiper squirters. :rotfl:

ah, the legal system. :kicknuts:

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
i know you guys have heard of light force lights before. Well we sell those at work and the bright a$$ bulbs for'em we sell clear and amber, i could ship you down some amber light force bulbs. i think they're like 250w bulbs and im not sure but i think they're single element hid bulbs. those bad boys would be about 4 times as bright as your high beams. (the clear ones are anyways.) jsut a thought if you feel like being a smartass.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts