Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy of mine and I decided that when we get back from Iraq, we are going to build a Class 5/1600 Bug to eventually run in the Baja 1000. We're shooting to have it ready for the 2010 Baja 1000 (depending on future deployments) Anyway, we've started doing our research, I was just wondering if anyone on here has any experience with Running Bugs off-road, The 1000, or desert racing in general.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
TTT

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
not interested in the Jeepspeed classes? I think itd be a bit easier and a lot more fun...and comfortable.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
:withstupid: And prob a lot cheaper, VW bugs aren't decreasing in value any and you can buy an XJ for next to nothing and find parts everywhere.

Having driven lots of Beetles, I cringe at the thought of the 5/1600 class, those things are damn near stock.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Class 11 is damn near stock...The 5's are a little better. We've talked about it quite a bit and we're definitely going the Bug route. We decided that after weighing our options that the Class 5/1600 cars are probably the best way for us to get our foot in the door. And, I think it'll be cool because I have no experience with VW's, something different for a while.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I thought rollcage has had some desert racing experience I might be making that up though.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
What deviations are allowed from stock? I grew up on VW's, but obviously living in Ohio, I know not a bunch about desert racing. I have had a few "Baja" style bugs, and have built several buggies with long travel suspension. Keep us posted, I'd be interested to see the build.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We're still waiting on the Rule book to get sent to us with all the specifics but

Class 11: VW Bugs made before (I Think) '85 with stock engine and suspension

Class 5 Unl: VW "Baja" Bugs with modified long travel susp. bigger tires and More engine mods

Class 5/1600: VW "Baja" Bugs, basiclly same as above but limited to 1600cc engine and less engine mods allowed

Heres all the classes:

Cars & Trucks
SCORE TROPHY-TRUCK (Unlimited Production Trucks)
CLASS 1 (Unlimited single or two-seaters)
CLASS 1-2/1600 (single or two-seaters to 1600cc)
CLASS 3 (Short wheelbase 4X4)
CLASS 5 (Unlimited Baja Bugs)
CLASS 5/1600 (1600cc Baja Bugs)
CLASS 7 (Open mini trucks)
CLASS 7S (Stock mini trucks)
CLASS 7SX (Modified mini trucks)
CLASS 8 (Full-sized two-wheel drive trucks)
CLASS 9 (Short wheelbase, single or two-seaters)
CLASS 10 (Single or two-seaters to 1650cc)
SCORE LITE (Limited single-1776cc-or two-seaters-1835cc)
CLASS 11 (Stock VW Sedans)
STOCK FULL (Stock full-sized trucks)
STOCK MINI (Stock mini trucks)
PROTRUCK (Limited Production Trucks)
BAJA CHALLENGE (Limited, identical Baja touring cars)
Motorcycles
CLASS 22 (250cc or more)
CLASS 21 (126cc to 250cc)
CLASS 30 (Riders over 30 years old)
CLASS 40 (Riders over 40 years old)
CLASS 50 (Riders over 50 years old)
ATVs
CLASS 25 (251cc or more)
CLASS 24 (250cc or less)

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No one has any experience desert racing?

·
Registered
170 Posts
You can probably buy a prepped used car a heck of alot cheaper than you can build one yourself.I would also look at starting out at one of the shorter races.The Best in the Desert series has races 3-400 miles long and alot closer.There is no cheap class to race off road in.In addition to the car,there's entrance fees,fuel,spare parts,alot of spare tires.You'll need pit support and chase vehicles.Tranporting the car
and all of the above to and from the race can be a huge expense in itself. Pre race insprction.All approved safety equipment HAS to be in place or you will not race.If you're really serious check out http://www.race-dezert.com there's a ton of info and a lot of racers on there.

Good Luck
Doug

·
Registered
1 Posts
Are you and your buddy still working on this. I am also starting a project. I have a 1969 sedan - not sure what class to build to yet - but it is torn all the way down. I have replaced the floor pans and am waiting on the rule book before I start reassembly. Where are you located? - Oceanside, CA for me.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We are still trying to do it, just kinda got moved to the back burner for a bit

·
Registered
12 Posts
check out http://www.woodsbuggy.com not desert racing but we all have buggies aimed for the woods, a lot of smart guys and great information on there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You need to get the rule book first. For a SCORE legal 5/1600 cage out of chromoly you are looking at about 13,000.00. That is only the cage. It would be better if you guys found a used mild steel car and rebuilt it. We race class 11 and are just putting the finishing touches on our 5/1600, its first race is in october. We will have about 45,000 in our 5/1600 by the time we are done.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts