Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel dumb for asking this, but when did Chevy stop making the S15, or did they? My girlfriend was talking about her father's old S15 that she remembered riding around in, and being young, dumb, and stuck in the middle of no where, I don't think I'd ever heard of one. I saw an old [look like 80's or so] one at a park the other day, but what's the seperating factor between an S15 and an S10? and do they still manufacture them?

·
Registered
959 Posts
S15 was GMC and S10 is Chevy. I dont know when they stopped making them but im guessing late 80's?

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
when the s10 changed body styles, (in the early 90's i think), they dropped the s 15 name and now its called a sonoma, and the s10 is still called the s10, i think that name will be dropped at the next body style change.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Could be. Remember the Toyota trucks that were small but were rated for 3/4 or 1 ton. My dad's, sister's, husband drives a 3/4 ton. Toyota the size of a Tocoma.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Actually, I have a 97 GMC Jimmy. Everywhere I look, it is still referred to as a S-15. The Chevy Blazer is a S-10 Model. They stopped production of the Jimmy at the end of 2001 I think. The Envoy replaced it but I believe the Blazer is still in production or maybe it was phazed out by the Trailblazer? But all the parts I try to find for my car (JCWhitney, Summit, etc.) refer to my model year as the S-15 body and S-10 for the Blazer.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
s15=sonoma
jimmy=envoy
blazer=trailblazer
s10=some new name they are makin for it in a year, chevy's tryin to make the little trucks look prettier by giving all of there trucks real names instead of nimbers and letters (s10, c1500, k3500, etc.)

·
Registered
118 Posts
91 is when they changed the name to the Sonoma. The S15 was not a heavier duty truck just Gmc's version of the S10. GM soon will be phasing out the S series trucks with a midsize version called the Colorado, with the looks of the Trailblazer in front and the same 270 Hp inline 6 as the Trailblazer.I don't know if they will phase out the blazer or not. They should get rid of the tracker personally.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Chevy uses the S-10 name only on the S-10 pickup now but older models blazer/jimmy are refered to as s-10 or s-15. the blazer was replaced by the new trailblazer to answer any questiuons about that

·
Registered
118 Posts
The trailblazer has not yet replaced the blazer. They still have the s10 blazer. They have the ZR2 blazer and they make the Blazer xtreme and the regular model blazer LS. They may in the future phase them out but not as of yet.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Its about time they got rid of that P.O.S.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
These trucks actually are based on truck chassis. The import trucks are the ones on the car chassis, for example, the honda crv is built on a modified accord chassis. I think thats hilarious.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
i heard the escape was atually built on a truck chassis but im not 100% sure. Either way its still not a truck in my book. It cant tow or do any real off roading so its not a truck to me at least.

·
Registered
118 Posts
The S10s can tow more than you think. My brother had a 97 S10 and he towed a pontoon boat with no problems. And whether fullsize or s10 size I like all Chevy trucks. Hopefully in late june I will have a Tahoe and I can have both.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts