Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok...first problem with my truck, just thot id ask yalls advice. as hard as that is without lookin at the truck..haa. i was shifting from second to third, on a street, and as i was lettin the clutch out and givin her gas, the tach dropped to zero and the light came on. pulled over and stopped. i dont remember hearing the rpms drop. checked all the fluids, were fine. belt was good. started her back up to drive the mile or so home. the tach kept fluctuating from zero to where it was sposed to be, but the rpms didnt fluctuate with it. cant take it to the dealer til monday. think its just a tach sensor gone bad? any other ideas? safe to drive to work tomorrow? thanks in advance.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I'm thinking it might by chance be the vehicle speed sensor, don't take my word for it though. Cause the VSS does control mph, tach and odometer readings. Theres an electrical connector going to the VSS, which is in the side of the transfer case at the end of the case. Just for the hell of it I would check the sensor cause that would cause the check engine light to go on and the tach to stop working with no drop in RPM's.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so you think as long as the engine sounds like its runnin right...it would be ok to drive until i can get it in the shop?

·
Registered
8,237 Posts
i think you would be the best judge of whether its safe or not. if the truck doesnt feel any different, then id say go ahead, but if theres even something small, dont risk it. it could lead to a larger problem.

·
Registered
255 Posts
As I've learned with the two tranny's I've put in my Malibu, if it's a small problem and you don't get it fixed soon, It will be a big $ problem later.

Take it in if you have any doubts whatsoever. Think about it, $50 or $1500. I know it's not specifically the tranny but the same rule applies.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well, it was the crankshaft sensor they said. no charge, covered by warranty. appreciate yalls help as always.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts