Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw on another forum a person that has a check engine light coming on in a 00' ram. They say it's been taken to the dealer and the computer says its the transmission sensor. I guess it's been replaced twice and it comes back on 3-4 days later and stays on. I was thinking maybe it was the O2 sensor since those go out alot. They are going to try that, but do you guys have any other ideas what it could be?

·
Registered
969 Posts
One thing that many people forget about is the gas cap. If the cap is not turned until it clicks than the fuel system is not a sealed system. It may seem too obvious but I've seen many people forget about it, just something to check I guess.

·
Registered
219 Posts
That dumb gas cap thing just happened to me. I usually don't "click" it, but I make sure it is tight. Been that way for all my cars/trucks. Never had a problem until a few days ago. Light came on and never went off. Had to take it to the shop. Also, they say don't keep car runing when you fill it. It may cause the same problem...

·
Registered
969 Posts
I know it sounds stupid but we have had so many customers come in saying they have had scan tools hooked up to the car and new parts put on the car but the engine light is still on. The first question I always ask on OBD 2 vehicles is "did you tighten the gas cap till it clicks?" It has saved me alot of time when diagnosing a check engine light. Although I admit that it is usually people that don't know much about cars that forget it.

·
Registered
246 Posts
give more info and maybe i can help you out man. like year make model. also what was the code number? if it was a tranny code then its probibly not an o2 sensor since that has nuthin to do with the tranny. let me know :):

·
Registered
969 Posts
Vehicles form 96 and newer all have their computer hookup under the dash and have a more advanced computer system than pre 96 vehicles. They are called OBD2 (on board diagnostics 2) and they have a sealed fuel system. That gas cap rule applies to all OBD2 vehicles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts