Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard from some one today that you can turn the ignition switch on and off 3 times in a row and the check engine light will flash a certain number of times to let you know what is wrong with the truck. Well, my light was on so I tried it and it worked. Does anyone know where I can get the code that tells what the flash means? I tried finding it on the net today, and had no luck. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Write down the code. Go to the dealer and ask a tech what it means. They may or may not tell you, but it's worth a try right.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Right now they are working on something where the dealers have to realease info, like diagnostic trouble codes to independent shops. This is supposed to happen in the near future so you might not have to go to the dealership just for this info.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Yeah that trick only works up to 97 i think. 98 and newer your screwed.

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
http://dodgeram.org/tech/gas/Trouble/pcm_fault_code.htm

That link says 98+ does not use teh same procedure, but I think that DC reimplemented it in '00 or '01

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Oh, ok thats great, so dodge decided to screw just people like me with a 99 or 98. Great. I need to send them a thankyou card.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Is this is the patter:

1) Start in off
2) On
3) Off
4) On
5) Off
6) On

Or do you:

7) Off

And how long between each one?

I've not gotten it to work with my '00

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
You need to begin this check with the vehicle "off". then dont start just turn key to "on" position, "off", "on", "off" and finally "on" again. then wait the check engine light will flash codes, all codes are two digits long. pauses in the light will let you know its starting a new number. Example... flash flash flash -PAUSE- flash flash, that would be 32. then when it is done flashing all codes you will get a 55 code. You will need to be fairly quick when switching from off to on to start the codes.
If anyone wants more info like the codes and what they stand for let me know.

·
Registered
213 Posts
If you post the codes I can look the up in my haynes manual. Or you can pick one up at any auto parts store. If the cover says through '96 it is the same as a '97. But thats as new as you can go.

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
my check engine came on again so i tried the trick again, and still no flashing. my haynes manual says that it works and the cover says from 94-98. guess i am forced to pay some idiot to stick a plug together and press a button. man i hate these stupid things.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I don't think the ignition trick works on 98's and newer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
On the newer ones it does not flash the check engine light. It shows the "p" codes on the odometer and ends with "pdone".

1 - 18 of 18 Posts