Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to firm up shifting on automatica as well has hold the gears longer? I am thinking of changing to larger tires. I run 4.10 rearend with a 360. I waould like to run 36's but want to be sure it doesn't shift too early and bog down. Also would like have a firmer shift to extend tranny life. I have read posts that say when you change your speedo gear, it recalibrates the tranny shift points. Is this true also. Earlier posts about changing pressure in vacuum lines?

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
On 2002-01-09 11:40, SilverOffroadster wrote:
Is there a way to firm up shifting on automatica as well has hold the gears longer? I am thinking of changing to larger tires. I run 4.10 rearend with a 360. I waould like to run 36's but want to be sure it doesn't shift too early and bog down. Also would like have a firmer shift to extend tranny life. I have read posts that say when you change your speedo gear, it recalibrates the tranny shift points. Is this true also. Earlier posts about changing pressure in vacuum lines?

if you get the Superlift truspeed and then a transgo shift kit youll prbaly have what your looking for.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
The best way to off-set larger tires is larger gears. I'm running 35s with 3.92 gears, and rarely notice the loss in torque from the stock 31s. With 4.10s and 36s, you're doing pretty good... Puts you equivalent to running 3.55 gears with the stock tires. With 4.56 gears and 36s, you'll be up to runing equivalent to 3.92 gears and the stock tires...

Those numbers don't seem like I remembered them to be... I though for certain that I had computed an effective ration of 3.65:1 for my current setup, and now I'm getting 3.49:1...

<sigh>

Can anyone do the math? I was doing:

(old tire/new tire) * (new gear) = effective old gear

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
On 2002-01-09 15:44, woody wrote:
The best way to off-set larger tires is larger gears. I'm running 35s with 3.92 gears, and rarely notice the loss in torque from the stock 31s. With 4.10s and 36s, you're doing pretty good... Puts you equivalent to running 3.55 gears with the stock tires. With 4.56 gears and 36s, you'll be up to runing equivalent to 3.92 gears and the stock tires...

Those numbers don't seem like I remembered them to be... I though for certain that I had computed an effective ration of 3.65:1 for my current setup, and now I'm getting 3.49:1...

<sigh>

Can anyone do the math? I was doing:

(old tire/new tire) * (new gear) = effective old gear

for me new tire/old tire multiplied by current gear ratio = gear ratio to go to to get back to before.
in my case
35.4/31.6=1.12
1.15*3.55=3.98 so i went to 4.10's

1 - 4 of 4 Posts