Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to change my engine coolant on my '99 1500 4x4 and was wanting to know the best procedure for doing this. What tools and materials will I need. Please give suggestions. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
A bucket and lots of paper towels....

Put a bucket under the radiator drain, attach a length of rubber hose to the petcock "spigot" and open the valve. Then remove the radiator cap. Remove the drain plugs on the sides of the engine block (not the freeze plugs) to drain the block.

If you are going to flush the sytem, be sure to switch the heater in the cab to max HOT.

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
prestone makes a nice kit that flushes the entire system out. you put a hook up in your heater hose and make sure the heater is on and the thermostat is open. then you hook up your garden hose and let it run until the water shooting out turns clear.

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
But you still need to drain the clean water at least 1/2 way so you can add coolant back into the system. Now if you could pump coolant through the system once you flushed it, that would be nice.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
You might have problems trying to open the radiators petcock! I did, on my brand new radiator (as well as on the old one) to drain it. I managed to get the lower hose off with maximun splash all over the place because of it also! You should refrain from using tap water (garden hose variety) when filling the radiator. Go to Safeway (or local food store) and get the required amount of distilled water. (less minerals to grow in the radiator!)
And most of you should know, to use a 50/50 mix (or as close to as possible)
100% anti-freeze is FLAMABLE! and doesn't cool as efficently.
Straight water is much better at carring off heat than anti-freeze, anti-freeze is much better at preventing corrosion than water, and doesn't freeze. 50/50 mix get's ya best of both worlds.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
and the most important thing. make sure any off your kids or pets dont drink it accidently. it is very toxic to them. if not noticed the pet dies, and it is a very painful death also. if not treated within the first day, odds are the pet will die. the ethelene glycol shuts down the animals kidneys. the 5 yrs i work at an animal hospital, that was one of the worst things to treat. antifreeze is very sweet tasting and the critters like it so much.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My book says that my cooling system holds 20 quarts so I only need to by around 10 quarts to have a 50/50 mix with water right. Sounds stupid I know, just trying to do it right. Thanks.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Oh, and dont forget to run your engine for a sec. to let all the air bubbles come out, and give you an acurate reading of how much coolant is in there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts